Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Fake Companies Clicking on Ads

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

Hoping you can help me here because I can't seem to get a response from Google. My company is using AdWords and Leadfeeder, a tool that integrates with AdWords to help identify companies clicking on our ads. We're seeing a handful of companies hit our ads anywhere from 50-100 times in a month. Unfortunately, these companies seem fake – no website, no contact information, no LinkedIn information. 

While I believe the Google invalid click filter is catching these (I can't be 100% sure), is there any way to block these users? It seems they're coming from a different IP every time, spending less than a min on the site per visit, and are ultimately harming the overall campaign. Any advice here on how to stop (or even minimize!) this from happening would be much appreciated, and of course, happy to provide more information if this issue seems unclear.

Thanks in advance!
Lauren

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lauren L
May 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Nope; Google does not offer  a tool to block a series  of IPs. The system should credit those and if you are not credited, you can  also request an investigation, 

Note: In any campaign, there is always  some "residual traffic". Some of it irrelevant legit users, some of it invalid.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @lauren l,

This is just an idea you may perhaps be interested in. When the bad guys are using VPN it may not be workable.  

You may want to try setting up a negative remarketing list to exclude users who have seen your LP more than X times, so as to prevent them from seeing further ads of yours on SERPs. To this end first you need to enable remarketing features using Google Analytics so you have the ability to build audiences that will subsequently be imported into Shared Library in your AdWords account from GA. 

Readings on this subject matter: 

***   Enable Remarketing and Advertising Reporting Features in Analytics   ***

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2444872

***   Exclude specific audiences from your targeting   ***

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2549058?hl=en&co=ADWORDS.IsAWNCustomer=false

"While I believe the Google invalid click filter is catching these.."

That's mostly true but sometimes it leads to a posterior measure. Better to prevent it from happening proactively if you can.

Best,

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks @MosheTLV and @Lakatos for your responses!

@Lakatos that is a good idea. And to respond to the "While I believe the Google invalid click filter is catching these.." part of your comment, we're mostly concerned about reporting. We made a few tweaks to the campaign by changing some ad copy and updating the layout and content of a few landing pages, and our overall impression number went up, but we also started receiving these "invalid interactions". I want to make sure we're reporting on REAL growth.

Which leads me to a second question... I added the invalid interactions column to my report, and am seeing that Google is catching around 3,500 invalid interactions for one of our campaigns. When I drill down into the ad groups, the individual ad group impression numbers add up to the total impression number of the campaign (as expected). Is it safe to assume that the 3,500 have already been subtracted?

Thanks again!
Lauren

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

>>"Is it safe to assume that the 3,500 have already been subtracted?

>>"All clicks are analysed by our system. The system analyses numerous click patterns and if any clicks are considered to be invalid, they will be filtered out before you are charged for them and before they reach your account reports. You can view these clicks by adding the ‘Invalid Click’ column in your ‘Campaigns’ or ‘Dimensions’ tab.

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Ad-Approval-Policy/How-Google-AdWords-Detects-Invalid-Clic...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’