Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Fail to upload GIF with size less than 150kb

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all, 

Would like to create a display network campaign. I intend to upload a GIF for my ad set, and I am well aware of the file size limit (150kb). The file size is 148kb, yet it becomes 164 kb after the upload. Any idea why this happens and anyway to fix this? Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Yuen S
April 2017

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey @Yuen S,

I've actually struggled with this issue when uploading to many different ad servers....not just adwords. My findings concluded that the file size inefficiencies are somehow related to the image-information data. Photoshop strips all of the data whenever you compress and export the file but the image api seems to add it right back...which is increasing your file size.

Any files that need to be under 50k (as an example) should be exported less than 45kb so after upload it doesn't exceed the maximum file cap. I don't have exact science to back this up but start exporting your files about 10% less than the capacity limit and you shouldn't run into this issue anymore.

Hope my failures can help you hurdle yours! Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

Could you try to reduce the size further and then upload it on AdWords platform? To be honest, I haven't seen this issue at my end.

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Yuen S
April 2017

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey @Yuen S,

I've actually struggled with this issue when uploading to many different ad servers....not just adwords. My findings concluded that the file size inefficiencies are somehow related to the image-information data. Photoshop strips all of the data whenever you compress and export the file but the image api seems to add it right back...which is increasing your file size.

Any files that need to be under 50k (as an example) should be exported less than 45kb so after upload it doesn't exceed the maximum file cap. I don't have exact science to back this up but start exporting your files about 10% less than the capacity limit and you shouldn't run into this issue anymore.

Hope my failures can help you hurdle yours! Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the sharingSmiley Happy Actually the upload finally worked when I reduced the file size to around 110kb... There are 4 images in total with similar size and same format, and only one of them encounter this issue; so it made me wondering the reason behind. Your explanation sounds legit! I guess I have to try a couple more times next time as I am not even sure how many data is being "hidden" and become invisible (as in this case the buffer was nearly 25%). Anyway thanks a lot for your helpSmiley Wink