Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Fact or Myth?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

I came across one study online that SAYS:

"You're not going to succeed advertising products that are only secondarily related to what's being searched. That might work in other forms of advertising, but it doesn't work in search engine advertising. When people are searching for products in a search engine, they want to get search results that precisely match their queries"

Based on experience (on a young market like Philippines), is it true that there are industries that are not marketable online  & you have to tell upfront to a client if his business is not suitable in PPC?

More Power,
Loraine
4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Fact or Myth?

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Looking forward to seeing the opinions of others...

E

Yes, I work at Google. I want all AdWords Advertisers to be happy and prosperous
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

I agree with Loraine ;

There are markets / niche markets that are advanced in searching, but still hesitating "to come on board" of the PPC advertising. Engineering services (where I come from...)  - is one of these. It's hard to convince an engineering related manufacturer or an engineering services supplier to advertise t on by PPC, though, they  put much money into SEO.

It's a matter of time...If I were in AdWords marketing, I would stop the coupon circulation / distribution program (aka "Engage"), and put efforts into engineering and manufacturing markets - These are huge... 

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Considering today's digital media world, I think any business can be taken to the internet world and get the promotion. My opinion. Kelvin
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi,

It would be interesting to see some numbers around the facts which Loraine has shared.

I would also be interested in seeing some numbers if somebody from Google can shed light on this. Any case studies about the advertising markets online if possible.

My understanding about this whole scenario is that although there might be markets which are away from paid online advertising, but certainly as the advertising models, web analytics tools have advanced in the past some times, we cannot deny the fact that online advertising might prove a catalyst may be not in direct online conversions or leads or sales, but it might assist in growing offline numbers. The best example of this would be the Multi-Channle Funnel Reporting available in Google Analytics. We can see how different channels of marketing (may be organic, PPC, referral, email marketing, direct etc.....) collate together and contribute towards a successful sale or a lead.

Similarly, Phone Calls, which is again an interesting topic and I always love to talk about it Smiley Happy

There might be businesses which do not generate lots of contact form leads or sales etc... but I have seen myself good number of phone calls data (Thanks to Call Metrics) for specific businesses which were not getting good exposure from other channels ( organic, referral etc..). To be more specific, I am talking about electronic component manufacturers, chip level online distributors, obsolete components etc...

I honestly feel that a good projection is required while talking with the clientele and letting him know about the pros and cons about how PPC can assist in building the business or not.

Just few of my thoughts!

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Guys,

@Moshe: I would be glad to learn that the coupon promotion program was stopped overnight. Chances are Google can't afford that because free vouchers increase the revenues coming from the rest of advertisers. (The Clinks Theorem)

@Loraine: My understanding of the excerpt is different than the former interpretations. When you bid on a keyword which is only indirectly related to the product or service we call them backdoor keywords. Actually I think that the author is wrong. Even though backdoor techniques usually don't work out it's often worth a shot because they may prove fantastic in a very few cases. There are a few who made a fortune with it. (Not for beginners though.)

@Moshe&Pankaj: The question may also arise whether each and every product is marketable via AdWords. Chances are the asnwer is negative. Google is a mass media hence the most suitable products and services are the ones that are meant for the masses. Awaiting the day though when Chevron Oil Co. creates an AdWords account.... Robot LOL

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

You're not going to succeed if you believe everything you hear. My philosiphy has always been, Try it, Test it, Prove it... You can get pretty creative with adwords, so no matter what industry you're trying to market anything is possible.

Cheers,

Charlie  

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Loraine

In my opinion, and I stress it is an opinion, one key point that must never be ignored when creating a marketing campaign, wether it be online or offline, is to not allow the tail wag the dog. In other words it is imperative that your offline campaigns influence your online campaigns and not the other way around. 

To establish a sucessful campaign, it is quiete easy to ascertain the "online" demand for your product or service. If this demand is not present, it will just not magically appear, it will have to be created offline, hence look at the amount of marketing and advertising budgets spent by companies, creating that online demand thru offline methods e.g. t.v., media etc.

Always remember that if there is no online market for your product or service, it is not simply a case of "build it and they will come." 

Dave