Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Facebook page as URL display?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

At the time of creating an Ad Campaign, is it possible to set a facebook page as a Display / Destination URL for the Ad?

If so, are there any (dis)advantages?

Thanks in advance!

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alfredo Eduardo J
September 2015

Re: Facebook page as URL display?

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Alfredo,

Thanks for posting! 

As far as I'm aware, you can use Facebook as your display and destination URLs. I imagine it is a registered trademark with AdWords, so it would not be possible to use the term in your ad copy - but there should be no issue using it as your URL. 

The only disadvantage I can think of is that people will probably need to be signed in to Facebook to go directly to your Facebook page. If they are not signed in, they will be required to in order to view the content. However, the cost per click will be incurred in your AdWords account regardless of whether or not they go to your Facebook page or the Facebook home/login page. Might be something to keep in mind! 

I hope this helps! 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the reply Rachel!

What you just mentioned as a disadvantage is an important issue to take into account. I am just starting but, as far as i am concerned, I could follow users track with tools like Google Analytics for checking where they are getting stucked, is it right?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alfredo Eduardo J
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Alfredo,

First, it depends on the type of page whether users must be logged into Facebook to see the content. For business pages, all content is public and can be viewed without logging in.

For Google Analytics, this will only work if you direct users to an app page that includes the GA code for tracking. You can't add the GA tracking code to regular FB pages.

Another disadvantage is the Google will only show one ad per top level domain. So, if other advertisers also point to Facebook and use the same keywords, only one of the ads will show. This could lead to a bidding "war" that increases your CPC's beyond profitability.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords