AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Expanded Text Ads Without Hyphen?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello AdWords Community

While conducting a few searches on Google this morning I noticed Expanded Text Ads without a hyphen between the two headlines. How are they possible? I've attached a screenshot below as an example.

Many thanks

Alastair

Screen Shot 2017-01-16 at 10.53.02.png

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Alastair,

What you're seeing is a Standard Text Ad which means the hyphen that is associated with Expanded Text Ads is missing because there is no Headline 1 and Headline 2. It either means the ads have not been updated to Expanded Text Ads or the advertisers chose to keep their ads as Standard Text ads because Adwords now allows you to switch between Expanded and Standard Text Ads.

I hope this clears things up for you...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Amolliah

Thank you for the reply and clearing that up for me. So although AdWords will cease to support the creation of standard text ads as of the end of Jan, they will continue to be shown in the SERPs in that format?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

More than likely individuals will need to change over their ads to the Expanded Text Ads or their ads may not show. However, it is a bit confusing because a few months ago it became mandatory that if you were creating an ad or updating an ad you needed to update it to the Expanded Text Ad. Since recently, I noticed that you have the option of creating the Standard Text Ads (ads without hyphens) instead of the Expanded Text Ads... therefore being able to switch between both