3.4K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Exit Rate vs Bounce Rate Explanation

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The Exit Rate vs Bounce Rate explanation in analytics looks to be wrong (https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2525491?hl=en#) I believe the first two answers to Bounce Rate in the example are not correct? Page A should be 100% Bounce Rate, and Page B has a lower Bounce Rate than Page Exit rate %. Yes/No? 

Re: Exit Rate vs Bounce Rate Explanation

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Just in case the page changes its contents over night, this was the provided example :

Now let's extend this example to explore the Exit rate and Bounce rate metrics for a series of single-session days on your site.

• Monday: Page B > Page A > Page C
  • Tuesday:  Page B > Exit
  • Wednesday:  Page A > Page C > Page B
  • Thursday:  Page C > Exit
  • Friday: Page B > Page C > Page A

The % Exit and Bounce rate calculations are:

Exit Rate

• Page A: 33% (only 3 of 5 sessions included Page A)
  • Page B: 50% (only 4 of 5 sessions included Page B)
  • Page C: 50% (only 4 of 5 sessions included Page C)

Bounce Rate:

• Page A: 0% (no sessions began with Page A, so it has no bounce rate)
  • Page B: 33% (bounce rate is higher than exit rate, because 3 sessions started with Page B, with one leading to a bounce)
  • Page C: 100% (one session started with Page C, and it lead to a bounce)

-------------------

Now my answer :

Bounce rate for page A : 1 session started with page A (as opposed to what they explain) and no session contained only page A so they are correct : bounce rate for page A is 0 %

To explain further : for a 100% bounce rate for page A to occur the session should have been Page A > Exit.

It could have been 1 session like this or all.

-----------------------

About "and Page B has a lower Bounce Rate than Page Exit rate %" . Yes they wrote wrong that "Page B: 33% (bounce rate is higher than exit rate" , because 33% is not higher than 50%

Bounce rate for page B is correct ( 3 sessions started with page B and only one was Page B > Exit so 1 out of 3 is 33.33 % )

Definition : "For all pageviews to the page, the exit rate is the percentage that were the last in the session."

Exit rate for page B is correct 50 % ( 4 sessions included page B and for 2 it was the last in the session , tricky because Tuesday it was the last and the only one in the session) 

--------------------------------------

I invite anyone else who wants to comment about this, maybe I am wrong.