Exit Rate vs Bounce Rate Explanation
The Exit Rate vs Bounce Rate explanation in analytics looks to be wrong (https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2525491?hl=en#) I believe the first two answers to Bounce Rate in the example are not correct? Page A should be 100% Bounce Rate, and Page B has a lower Bounce Rate than Page Exit rate %. Yes/No?
Re: Exit Rate vs Bounce Rate Explanation
Just in case the page changes its contents over night, this was the provided example :
Now let's extend this example to explore the Exit rate and Bounce rate metrics for a series of single-session days on your site.
- Monday: Page B > Page A > Page C
- Tuesday: Page B > Exit
- Wednesday: Page A > Page C > Page B
- Thursday: Page C > Exit
- Friday: Page B > Page C > Page A
The % Exit and Bounce rate calculations are:
- Page A: 33% (only 3 of 5 sessions included Page A)
- Page B: 50% (only 4 of 5 sessions included Page B)
- Page C: 50% (only 4 of 5 sessions included Page C)
- Page A: 0% (no sessions began with Page A, so it has no bounce rate)
- Page B: 33% (bounce rate is higher than exit rate, because 3 sessions started with Page B, with one leading to a bounce)
- Page C: 100% (one session started with Page C, and it lead to a bounce)
Now my answer :
Bounce rate for page A : 1 session started with page A (as opposed to what they explain) and no session contained only page A so they are correct : bounce rate for page A is 0 %
To explain further : for a 100% bounce rate for page A to occur the session should have been Page A > Exit.
It could have been 1 session like this or all.
About "and Page B has a lower Bounce Rate than Page Exit rate %" . Yes they wrote wrong that "Page B: 33% (bounce rate is higher than exit rate" , because 33% is not higher than 50%
Bounce rate for page B is correct ( 3 sessions started with page B and only one was Page B > Exit so 1 out of 3 is 33.33 % )
Definition : "For all pageviews to the page, the exit rate is the percentage that were the last in the session."
Exit rate for page B is correct 50 % ( 4 sessions included page B and for 2 it was the last in the session , tricky because Tuesday it was the last and the only one in the session)
I invite anyone else who wants to comment about this, maybe I am wrong.