AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Exit Rate vs Bounce Rate Explanation

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The Exit Rate vs Bounce Rate explanation in analytics looks to be wrong (https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2525491?hl=en#) I believe the first two answers to Bounce Rate in the example are not correct? Page A should be 100% Bounce Rate, and Page B has a lower Bounce Rate than Page Exit rate %. Yes/No? 

Re: Exit Rate vs Bounce Rate Explanation

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Just in case the page changes its contents over night, this was the provided example :

Now let's extend this example to explore the Exit rate and Bounce rate metrics for a series of single-session days on your site.

• Monday: Page B > Page A > Page C
  • Tuesday:  Page B > Exit
  • Wednesday:  Page A > Page C > Page B
  • Thursday:  Page C > Exit
  • Friday: Page B > Page C > Page A

The % Exit and Bounce rate calculations are:

Exit Rate

• Page A: 33% (only 3 of 5 sessions included Page A)
  • Page B: 50% (only 4 of 5 sessions included Page B)
  • Page C: 50% (only 4 of 5 sessions included Page C)

Bounce Rate:

• Page A: 0% (no sessions began with Page A, so it has no bounce rate)
  • Page B: 33% (bounce rate is higher than exit rate, because 3 sessions started with Page B, with one leading to a bounce)
  • Page C: 100% (one session started with Page C, and it lead to a bounce)

-------------------

Now my answer :

Bounce rate for page A : 1 session started with page A (as opposed to what they explain) and no session contained only page A so they are correct : bounce rate for page A is 0 %

To explain further : for a 100% bounce rate for page A to occur the session should have been Page A > Exit.

It could have been 1 session like this or all.

-----------------------

About "and Page B has a lower Bounce Rate than Page Exit rate %" . Yes they wrote wrong that "Page B: 33% (bounce rate is higher than exit rate" , because 33% is not higher than 50%

Bounce rate for page B is correct ( 3 sessions started with page B and only one was Page B > Exit so 1 out of 3 is 33.33 % )

Definition : "For all pageviews to the page, the exit rate is the percentage that were the last in the session."

Exit rate for page B is correct 50 % ( 4 sessions included page B and for 2 it was the last in the session , tricky because Tuesday it was the last and the only one in the session) 

--------------------------------------

I invite anyone else who wants to comment about this, maybe I am wrong.