1.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Existing campaign with 3 ad groups

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi! Sorry I am trying to learn how to do all of this since my web designer who set this up originally will not call me back (it's been months).

I have one campaign set up with 3 ad groups in it. How do I take an ad group and move it into it's own campaign? Is this possible? I don't want to have to start over again building new ads and keywords. 

Thank you!

Robin Ritchie

1 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Robin,

The easiest way for you to do this will be to copy and paste the campaign itself and then delete the extra ad groups. Just make sure you remember to delete the old one and check your campaign settings and budget! Smiley Happy 

To copy and paste, go to the campaigns tab, select the campaign by ticking the select box then use control-c and then control-v. If that doesn't work you can click "edit" while the campaign is selected and copy and paste that way instead.

FYI if you were doing this on a larger scale, you could use AdWords Editor to make it even quicker. 

If you need any other help just shout.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you! 

Okay...so if I copy and paste the campaign, it's going to have all 3 ad groups in it as well? I would cancel the two ad groups I don't want and I would rename the new campaign, correct.

For example I have one campaign "Pherona", the 3 ad groups are Vehicle Wraps, Lobby Signs, Retractable Banners. Should I make each ad group an individual campaign? This is where I'm getting confused. 

Re: Existing campaign with 3 ad groups

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Robin,

You can create these three Ad Groups in just one Campaign if your target areas are same otherwise, you have to create different campaign for each country or targeted location.

Thanks,

Aslam

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I wouldn't delete any of the old campaigns/ad groups.  Just pause the pieces you don't want running at the moment.  You don't need to separate them into separate campaigns unless you a. want to have different budgets for each or b. have a different geographic targeting for each.

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

Agreed. Understanding the structure of the AdWords account is one of the first steps to managing your own advertising.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6372655?hl=en

Unless you need to change campaign level settings like location, or budget, you don't necessarily need to create a new (another) campaign. In fact, if you are just starting out, it may be easier for you to keep the existing structure in place, as you continue to learn more about AdWords. Generally speaking, the bigger the account structure, the more difficult it can be to manage. Smiley Happy

Tom