5.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Excluding competitor locations

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

If I exclude a location (city) from one of my campaigns, can my competitors still see the ad if they are using the Ad Preview tool?

2 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Excluding competitor locations

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi fnippy;

For location targeting, there is no difference between the real Google search and the "ad preview tool" . When a region is excluded, it is excluded from both.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

OHH...Tom is faster in typing, but there could be a misinterpretation of your question:

I referred to a case where you exclude your ad from, lets say, the UK, and your competitor is searching for your ad (using the preview too)l in the UK

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni

FYI, I sometimes find it useful (and necessary) to block a competitor from seeing ads via the IP exclusion option.  This only works if they have a dedicated IP address (or block of addresses).  You'll need to sift through your web server logs to do this.  See:

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2456098

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Fnippy,

The ad preview tool allows you to specify locations, I don't think you can completely keep someone from seeing an ad all together. I'm a bit confused as to what you're trying to accomplish here. 

Browsers and a signed in Google user can also edit their location settings to test/see ads as well.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi fnippy;

For location targeting, there is no difference between the real Google search and the "ad preview tool" . When a region is excluded, it is excluded from both.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

OHH...Tom is faster in typing, but there could be a misinterpretation of your question:

I referred to a case where you exclude your ad from, lets say, the UK, and your competitor is searching for your ad (using the preview too)l in the UK

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks. I am asking because I like to keep tabs on what my competitors are doing, but there are times when I use the ad preview tool and don't see anyone's ad but my own (which I realize could simply mean that mine are the only ones running at that given time). I wondered if they were able to hide things from me entirely by excluding my location.

Now that I've thought further about it, I can't see how the Ad Preview tool could do this or we woudln't be able to check on ads running in locations other than our own (if campaign settings targeted people physically in a specific location).

Thanks for indulging my random thoughts.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni

FYI, I sometimes find it useful (and necessary) to block a competitor from seeing ads via the IP exclusion option.  This only works if they have a dedicated IP address (or block of addresses).  You'll need to sift through your web server logs to do this.  See:

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2456098