AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Excluding KW across adgroups

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello there Smiley Happy 

I have a question regarding negatives across adgroups. I am a bit confused of how to approach this situation : 
I am experiencing this all around my campaignes. For example within one campaign, i have two adgroups for similar that are referred to by a number . So i have 

Model 787 7 
and 
Model 787 8 

It's a completely new campaignes so i was hoping i could use the phrase match , but i don't see how would it be possible given the situation with the names. 
Do you have any suggestions?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
May 2016

Re: Excluding KW across adgroups

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Veronicca,

You can use negative keywords in both the ad groups as per below:-

Ad Group - Model 787 7 - You can use Model 787 8 in "Exact" match type in this ad group

Ad Group - Model 787 8 - You can use Model 787 7 in "Exact" match type in this ad group

Please let us know if you have any query.

Thanks,
Anand

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Veronicca,

Which keywords match type you are using in both the adgroups?

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hey Smiley Happy Thank you for joining in!

I want to use phrase match on both..But i guess it's not really a smart move there?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
May 2016

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Veronicca,

You can use negative keywords in both the ad groups as per below:-

Ad Group - Model 787 7 - You can use Model 787 8 in "Exact" match type in this ad group

Ad Group - Model 787 8 - You can use Model 787 7 in "Exact" match type in this ad group

Please let us know if you have any query.

Thanks,
Anand

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hey Anand ,
Thank you for joining! Smiley Happy

Thank you for the advice, i just have a small question about it.
When i put a negative search term on exact match [Model 787 7], does that mean that for example that the ad can be triggered by a search like this - buy Model 787 7 cheap ? As i am afraid that the exact match will limit only the "exact" searches?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Veronicca P wrote:

Thank you for the advice, i just have a small question about it.
When i put a negative search term on exact match [Model 787 7], does that mean that for example that the ad can be triggered by a search like this - buy Model 787 7 cheap ? As i am afraid that the exact match will limit only the "exact" searches?

Better suggestions can be there if you can place one of the original keyword which you are using.

Add only model number as cross adgroup negatives and add other general negative keywords(cheap, free, pics...) at campaign level to restrict ads from both the adgroups

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Veronicca,

Yes Exact Match will limit the searches.

But if you are using your keywords in "Phrase" Match Type then you don't need to use Negative Keywords vice versa in both the ad groups. Your exact ads appear once user query will match "Model 787 7" Or "Model 787 8".

If you will use your keywords in "Broad or BMM" then you will have to use negative keywords.

Thanks,
Anand

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Oh alright, i thought that due to the fact that they are very similar, it might affect it.
Thank you very much for the reply!