AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Excluded Location confusion

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi All,

I am a bit confused about the difference between "People in, searching for, or viewing pages about your excluded location (default)" and People in your excluded location.

Please answer me with example so it will be easy to understand me. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Excluded Location confusion

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Saroj K,

The following two examples are taken from this article :

1. People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my excluded location (recommended)

With this setting, we won't show your ads to people who are physically located in your excluded location OR to those who showed interest in your excluded location by either searching for, viewing content about, or have settings related to the excluded location.

Example You want to make sure that your ski equipment store ads won't appear for anyone that searches for Utah ski equipment since those searchers are probably looking for ski shops in Utah. Excluding by physical location or search intent keeps your ads from appearing for people physically located in Utah OR people who search for Utah ski equipment.

Exclusion optionTargeted locationExcluded locationNetworkTarget keywordPerson's locationSearching for or viewing pages aboutPerson sees your ad
People in, searching for, or viewing pages about your excluded locationsUnited StatesUtahSearch or Display Networkski equipmentUtahski equipment

No

CaliforniaUtah ski equipment

No

2. People in your excluded location.

This setting keeps your ads from appearing to people who are likely to be physically located in the area that you've excluded. People that are physically outside these areas may still see your ads.

Example

Let's say you own a ski equipment store in Colorado that ships anywhere in the United States. You've found that you have very few sales from Kansas, so you want to divert more of your budget to other areas. You decide to use physical location exclusion to keep your ads from appearing for people in Kansas who search for ski equipment.

Exclusion optionTargeted locationExcluded locationNetworkTarget keywordPerson's locationSearching for or viewing pages aboutPerson sees your ad
People in your excluded locationUnited StatesKansasSearch or Display Networkski equipmentColoradoski equipment

Yes

Coloradokansas ski equipment

Yes

Kansasski equipmentNo

If you find this information helpful credit as a correct answer or give a star Smiley Wink thx

George Gemenetzis
Don't forget to Star or credit an answer as an AdWords Accepted Solution if it helped you.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@gege;

Please avoid copy / paste text from the help center; (unless highlighting a sentence or a paragraph).

Linking would suffice.

Quoting our community guidelines;

>>"Be wise with quoting If you need to quote, use only as little as needed. It's distracting and difficult to read. Instead, use bullet points or numbers to organize your answer."

Thank you;

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
In this case i gave an appropriate and detailed answer and my wisedom said that Saroj K needed a direct and specific answer . I spend time to find out this content from the help center. The help Center is vast and someone not familliar with it will easily get lost. I did copy paste the data but if you click on the first link in my answer there is an article where probably a less experienced and fluent in English adwords user might find confussing. That was the reason why i compined the Linking with the copy paste. I believe that i gave an apropriate answer that helped.
George Gemenetzis
Don't forget to Star or credit an answer as an AdWords Accepted Solution if it helped you.

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

There is indeed a problem with the structure of the help pages, the expanding examples about various situations have a text that cannot be copy-pasted to be refferenced and the paragraphs have no numbering to be refferenced on the page .

If the expanding text on the page " + Exclude people in , searching for , or viewing pages about your excluded locations" was an easy-copy-paste I am sure that Gege would find it easier to just copy paste where the user should look on the page, at what line, but it isn't .

So it is tempting to expand it yourself and copy-paste the contents. However when I do that I tend to use quotation marks, a disclaimer like "just quoting" , italics for the copy-pasted text or colour in order to underline that the text is not my own creation . Maybe the community guidelines could use an update like the policy center Smiley Happy

If the expanding text was " ### 5 + Exclude people in , searching for , or viewing pages about your excluded locations" we could simply ask the Original poster to search in page with CTRL+F for ###5 in the refferenced link.