AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4K members online now
4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Excluded Location by Address/Radius

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey AdWords gurus, I'm just getting into adwords and have learned about excluded locations. The business is in a highly competitive field and I would like to use excluded locations to prevent my competitors from seeing that I'm using this advertising medium. Is there a way to do this by their address? I've already tried to do this with radius targeting, but I don't see a way to exclude via the radius. Besides, the minimum radius (1 mile) is a bit too large for the primary areas I target.

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Tyler R,

Though you can not go less than 1 Km with radius targeting but its strange to hear your objective.

For how long and from how many competitors you can keep yourself hidden, and what is the benefit of such advertising.

Lets suppose those areas(which you want to exclude) gives you maximum ROI.

The challenge is how you can keep yourself unique amongst these.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

I agree. 

The key in AdWords is to highlight the added value of your products  you provide / sell to users using AdWords features on techniques (ad-copy, phone, text, call out extensions, etc...) in order to make your ad more attractive, not by "masking" yourself.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Well guys, perhaps a little more background information may help. We are essentially taking a two-pronged Adwords approach. On the first, we are are offering a fairly niche offering on a somewhat wide geographical scale and with this we are indeed focused on making ourselves unique. This is where the bulk of our efforts are going as it is where the most growth opportunity lies.

The other is more local-based. This is our more established market and where we offer more or less a commodity product - which makes the "added value" proposition somewhat more difficult. We have one particular competitor that copies almost every move we make on a local level. I'm not worried about "masking" us forever, but if we could buy a little time to better optimize this campaign before that particular competitor catches on and be able to out-execute them, I do believe it would be worthwhile. It's not the end of the world if it's not an option Google allows. But, I got the idea from an Adwords book that I'm working through which mentions excluding cities where competitors are located (excluding entire cities is not practical in our case) and thought it wasn't the worst idea out there.

Anyhow, I really do appreciate the advice you all are providing! It does seem to validate the niche thinking.