AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Exactly how does this work??? I'm baffled.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Spent hours last night setting up an ad but don't feel comfortable with it Smiley Sad

Does anybody out there know how this works?

Cheers

Nicki

2 Expert replyverified_user

Help for my WEb Site... !!1

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So when you place an ad, does google automatically make a web site for you?

Just can't get my head around this and I'm not dumb!!!

Nicki

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Re: Help for my WEb Site... !!1

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi nicolette and welcome to the forum.

That's some pretty big questions you're asking there!  A bit like saying "How do you drive a car?".  If you're starting from a position of knowing nothing about the program (and there's no reason to think you're dumb because of this!) then there's a lot of learning ahead of you.  I'll try and lay it out in bullet points but before I do, please bear in mind that almost everything about Adwords has "variations".  While there are "typical" ways of doing things, there are lots of other ways so I'll just present the most common answers...

• Typically Adwords users are people or businesses with an existing website that sells a product or service, e.g. televisions, clothes, pizzas, etc.

• Adwords users create their own Ads which, when clicked, take web users to this website.

• Adwords has two primary places to show Ads: on the Search network, where the Ads appear alongside Google search results, or on the Display network, where Ads appear on other websites.    You can also place Ads on YouTube, target them at mobile devices only, and manage all other sorts of targeting options.

• There are two primary methods of paying for Ads.  One is known as "cost-per-click" or CPC, where you pay an amount each time your Ad is clicked.  This amount varies according to many factors and can range from a few cents up to tens of dollars.  You can also pay by impression (when your Ad is shown) where you don't pay for any clicks but only each time your Ad is actually displayed.  The cost per impression is usually very very small.

I would say, right away that if you're in doubt about what you're doing you should make sure you set a very low daily budget and limit how long the Campaign will run.  We see a lot of people here who end up spending a lot of money for few, if any, results.

You might also wish to consider hiring a professioal to at least get you started.  In the long run this can be the most cost effective option.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Re: Help for my WEb Site... !!1

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Thanks for such a great explanation Jon and Welcome to the Community and to AdWords Nicolette!

Jon's given you a great intro there, and if you want to learn any more I'd recommend the AdWords Help Centre and the AdWords Blog

This link here will help explain AdWords in a bit more detail. 

Hope this helps!

A.