AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Exact match close variation question

jmw
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
jmw
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I know that Google does not publish their definition of "close variation", but does anyone have any practicle experiece to lend me? My question is, if I'm buying [$100 coupon] will "100 coupon" trigger my exact match keyword?

Anyone have experience with this issue?

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Exact match close variation question

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi jmw,

I would run a "search terms" report to find out for sure which keyword is triggering your ad in this case.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi jmw, and welcome to the forum.  I'm afraid I don't know the answer to this one.  My hunch would be yes, because of the association with the word "coupon", which would frequently be associated with a value of some kind, but I honestly don't know.

Have you not had any click data yet?  A simple way to know would be to see a Search term that triggered on the Keyword when it was only "100".

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Have you tried it out using the Ad Preview and Diagnosis tool?

jmw
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
jmw
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Jon

Thanks for the response. In my data I don't currently find evidence of what you suggested.
Though I can say I see "100.00 coupon" serving the ad for [100 coupon]. I think my campaigns are currently arranged in such a way that [$100] is picking up "$100" and [100] with "100".

I'll keep an eye out in my data however as I'm curious to monitor the close variations.

Thanks!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi jmw,

I would run a "search terms" report to find out for sure which keyword is triggering your ad in this case.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

jmw
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
jmw
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have, though to no avail. My issue now is that I have both keywords [$100] [100], so regardless it's going to match to the most similar, or in this case exact match. rather than google making the "close variation" judgement, they dont have to because I have both keywords.

I appreciate all the help!