AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Exact Search Volume Option in Keyword Planner?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Keyword Planner

Where is the option to select EXACT or BROAD match search volume in Google Keyword Planner?

When I am checking my old keywords search volume, it is showing a big difference and I feel it is showing broad search volume. When I am downloading the keywords csv, it is showing Broad Type there.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sandeep M
June 2016

Re: Exact Search Volume Option in Keyword Planner?

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
The Keyword Planner results have changed recently - close variants are now being added in. It is uncertain if this is a bug or we are stuck with it. More here:
https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/AdWords-Tracking-and-Reporting/Keyword-Planner-Tool-showin...

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Sandeep,

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6325039

"If you use keyword match types with your keywords, we take only those match types into account when calculating traffic forecasts. For example, if you add a keyword as exact match, like [Cabo luxury resort], your forecasts will give you an idea how that keyword might perform as an exact match keyword."

So, using match types in the planner only impact forecasts of potential account performance and have no impact on historical search volumes.

Hope this helps!

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sandeep M
June 2016

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
The Keyword Planner results have changed recently - close variants are now being added in. It is uncertain if this is a bug or we are stuck with it. More here:
https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/AdWords-Tracking-and-Reporting/Keyword-Planner-Tool-showin...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Tommy,

I'm a relatively new user of Google Adwords and would welcome some clarity as I'm still confused by your response. Older versions of Google keyword tool provided an option to select EXACT or BROAD match search volumes based not only on keywords but also a web name (or landing page).   Currently, search results provide only the 'Avg monthly searches' for keywords and/or landing pages and 'its close variants'.  I can find nothing that gives an indication of how a keyword or landing page might perform as an exact match even when setting the date range to show results for a specific month.

In fact, the definition of 'Avg monthly searches' includes not only the average number of searches for a keyword but also "its close variants based on the targeting settings...". If that is the case, how can we make effective campaign investment decisions based on such broad Avg results.

The impact of not having an EXACT match feature are far reaching particularly as investment decisions stand a risk of being based on potentially erroneous data. For example, one of my investment criteria might be to initiate campaigns only where monthly searches exceed 5,000 per month (based on previous EXACT search results).  Using your current search results one might wrongfully assume that 'Avg monthly searches' of between 1K – 10K might satisfy that criteria - a costly assumption if in fact the EXACT searches was somewhere between 2K - 3K.

Furthermore, you state that "match types in the planner only impact forecasts of potential account performance...". Are you saying that the 'Avg monthly searches' figures are only forecasts? If so, how do you arrive at these figures without the use of actual historical search volumes? Also, what assumptions are these forecasts based on?

The Exact search volume option, in my mind, helped to inject an element of realism or sensibility to investment decisions. I may be off the reservation with this but would welcome some clarity and guidance on the matter.

Thanks in advance,

Keith.

Exact Search Volume Option in Keyword Planner?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Keith S,

Given that this thread is about a year old, I would suggest that you post this as a new thread and see what kind of responses you get.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’