AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Exact Match worse position then Broad match

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all, 

I have been recommended in a AdWords Training to split my Ads in separate Groups based on KW Type. So basically my situation is now as follows (just as example - actual Ad are in German) :

AdGroup: Baby doesn't sleep []

KW: [Baby doesn't sleep]

AdGroup: Baby doesn't sleep +

KW: +Baby +doesn't +sleep

On This Group I have a negative KW [Baby doesn't sleep] so that I am sure in case of exact match the correct Ad is shown

Both Groups have the same Ad-Texts, same Landingpage.

My max CPC is now the same for both (the idea is to adapt it later on).

KW [Baby doesn't sleep] gets a Quality Score of 7/10 

KW +Baby +doesn't +sleep doesn't get (or at least show) any quality score as there is a negative KW (this is apparently normal https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/Negative-keywords-preventing-ad...)

So my question is: why is my Broad Match Version having a Average Position of 1.5 and the exact match only 4? I thought The exact Match should score even better...?

Any Idea?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Luca

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @luca b,

Ad position is determined by Ad Rank which depend on 3 major factors including Bids, QS and expected impact of ad extensions and other ad formats.

For your reference: Ad Rank

So, increase your bids and use ad extensions to improve the ad position.

Note: Exact match keywords generally have more CPC as compared to BMM. So. bid high for Exact match keywords.

You can get idea from estimated top page and first page bids.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Archit,

thanks for you answer!

The reason why I asked it, is that i do not find a good reason for the Exact match to rank worse that the broad match, as all the criteria you listed are apparently similar between the two Ad Groups:

-Same Bid (2 Euros, enhanced)

-Same QS - at least I guess as I can not see the QS of the Broad match due to the negative KW

-Same Ads, same Extension, same Fromats

-Estimated first page and est top page are the same for Broad and Exact match.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Yes, bid high for exact match.

You will definitely find a different in average CPC bids of both in actual stats.

As exact match will have more competition.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I can see why this might be counter intuitive... but there is an explanation (which may be what's happening here)

Let's think first about why you segmented out the exact match KW... presumably, it is becuase this KW performs well and you expect to be able to get better results from the traffic this KW triggers. And, as a result, you are happy to bid more aggressively for the clicks.

And therein lies the answer - because if you see this, then all your competitors also see this, and they are all happy to bid higher for this KW - thus you get a lower position.

So, what can you do? Well, the first thing is to increase your bid, but, of course, this can turn into a race to the bottom which helps no-one. Instead, you should probably look at developing a strong landing page that really focusses on the KW and helps to boost the QS from the current 7 to a more competitive 9 or 10

Hope that helps