Guide Me
star_border

Estimated Traffic Summary Versus Est. First Page Bid

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Newbie Alert!

When I add keywords and use the traffic estimator it suggests I will receive a certain number of hits based on max CPC.  

But when I hit 'save' and add those keywords to the campaign I get a screen of red 'Below First Page Bid'. And those bids are way above the max cpc used in the estimator.

Does the estimator presume that I will still see clicks from ads on the second page?

If so what is the general feeling about second page ads?  

Thanks in advance.

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author John P
September 2015

Re: Estimated Traffic Summary Versus Est. First Page Bid

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi John,

Welcome to the AdWords Community Smiley Happy

#1. Traffic estimates or keyword planner gives the bid estimation based on past searches not real time searches. It can not be 100 % accurate as the actual bid depends on Quality score and format of Ad Extension.

#2 First bid estimate is just a guideline to make your bidding decision. It is not a guarantee you receive always First ad position, if you set the bid more than First page bid.

This estimate is a guideline, based on your keyword's Quality Score and recent advertiser competition,and it applies to search queries exactly matching your keyword. It does not give you a guarantee about your where your ad will appear.

But your real time ad position determine each and every auction based on the following factor:-

1 Quality score at the real time, As Quality Score determine at each time when your ads appear on the Search Engine Result page.
2. Location from where a users perform search.
3 Real time competition, when your ads enter into ad auction.

On the basis of this your ads position is determine, not estimated first page bid or top page bid.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi John;

I would add that these are estimates with a margin of error Google does not disclose, hence the figures provided could be misleading - as happened to you;
I usually ignore the "first page bid" and rely for the first shot on the historical CPC data (aka "suggested bid"  in the keyword planner statistics),  which shows the actual CPC paid by advertisers

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi John,

Welcome to the AdWords Community Smiley Happy

#1. Traffic estimates or keyword planner gives the bid estimation based on past searches not real time searches. It can not be 100 % accurate as the actual bid depends on Quality score and format of Ad Extension.

#2 First bid estimate is just a guideline to make your bidding decision. It is not a guarantee you receive always First ad position, if you set the bid more than First page bid.

This estimate is a guideline, based on your keyword's Quality Score and recent advertiser competition,and it applies to search queries exactly matching your keyword. It does not give you a guarantee about your where your ad will appear.

But your real time ad position determine each and every auction based on the following factor:-

1 Quality score at the real time, As Quality Score determine at each time when your ads appear on the Search Engine Result page.
2. Location from where a users perform search.
3 Real time competition, when your ads enter into ad auction.

On the basis of this your ads position is determine, not estimated first page bid or top page bid.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, your answer along with some googling has helped me.

Quality score is all important, if my Scores are 6/10-7/10 then my first page bid may need to be higher. So I should be aiming to improve quality score.

Thanks.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi John;

I would add that these are estimates with a margin of error Google does not disclose, hence the figures provided could be misleading - as happened to you;
I usually ignore the "first page bid" and rely for the first shot on the historical CPC data (aka "suggested bid"  in the keyword planner statistics),  which shows the actual CPC paid by advertisers

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the response, I'll do as you suggest and go for the suggested bid for a while. Thank You.