2.9K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Estimated Top Of Page Bid

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

After using Adwords for 18 months I am now more perplexed and confused than ever. I feel like I have been caught in a time wasting, never ending net of rules, policies, dodgy algorithms, explanations that don't make sense and explanations that seem more about making money than adding any value for my advertising dollars.

So I will start with my most recent question first.

How is it possible to have a quality score of 7/8 for every keyword, an estimated top of page bid of $0.75, bid $1.90 and still manage to get a search ranking of 10?

Stewart Brown

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Estimated Top Of Page Bid

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Steward,

I would start out by Watching this new Video about the Adwords Auction, QS and Ad Rank

Insights on the AdWords Auction

Top of page Estimates are just that Estimates, Competition, QS, Bid all come into play.  

How is it possible to have a quality score of 7/8 for every keyword, an estimated top of page bid of $0.75, bid $1.90 and still manage to get a search ranking of 10?

Several things, your competition can have a 9/10 or 10/ 10 QS,  the can actually be bidding far more them your $1.90. -  Question, you Bid $1.90 - what is your CPC - is it 1.89 or close?  What happens to your Ad rank when you Bid $2.00 or higher.  Are you testing Bids?  Are you manuallyt bidding, or using a CPA or Enhanced Bid?  i assume you are in the Search and not display Network

Try checking your competition cpc's in some of the 3rd party tools,  semrush, spyfu etc.  To see what the closer CPC's are for those bids.

Even with those tools, I find in my accounts, when there is a lot of competition you have to bid high to get higher rankings.   I have some clients for legal terms and have 10/10 QS but still have to bid $50 a click and Pay about $43  CPC even though the Est Top Bid says $15.00.

Estimates are just that, a pool of larger numbers not taking into account the actual true REAL time current data.  You have to test, and continue to manage and be diligent with your accounts.

Hope that Helps

I am sure you will get some other Good responses from this helpful community for their insights as well

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Official First page and Top of Page Estimate

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472742?hl=en

The first page bid estimate is a guide, meant to give you greater insight with which to plan your bidding strategy -- but meeting your first page bid estimate isn’t a guarantee of ad position. Ad position will still depend on competition from other advertisers, the components of your Quality Score (expected clickthrough rate, ad relevance, and landing page experience), your CPC bid, the expected impact of extensions and other ad formats, your budget and account settings, and user and advertiser behavior.

Only tip I would give you, is work on your Unique Selling Proposition, and ROI projections. TEST. TEST TEST.

If your landing page doesn't convert from Free traffic , it won't convert from Paid Traffic.  Work your calls to action, make better landing pages, think like a customer.  do A/B testing on pages as well as ads.

Adwords is just a platform to get your message out.  If you website doesn't convert, it's not the platforms fault, 

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Steward,

I would start out by Watching this new Video about the Adwords Auction, QS and Ad Rank

Insights on the AdWords Auction

Top of page Estimates are just that Estimates, Competition, QS, Bid all come into play.  

Several things, your competition can have a 9/10 or 10/ 10 QS,  the can actually be bidding far more them your $1.90. -  Question, you Bid $1.90 - what is your CPC - is it 1.89 or close?  What happens to your Ad rank when you Bid $2.00 or higher.  Are you testing Bids?  Are you manuallyt bidding, or using a CPA or Enhanced Bid?  i assume you are in the Search and not display Network

Try checking your competition cpc's in some of the 3rd party tools,  semrush, spyfu etc.  To see what the closer CPC's are for those bids.

Even with those tools, I find in my accounts, when there is a lot of competition you have to bid high to get higher rankings.   I have some clients for legal terms and have 10/10 QS but still have to bid $50 a click and Pay about $43  CPC even though the Est Top Bid says $15.00.

Estimates are just that, a pool of larger numbers not taking into account the actual true REAL time current data.  You have to test, and continue to manage and be diligent with your accounts.

Hope that Helps

I am sure you will get some other Good responses from this helpful community for their insights as well

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Eric, I appreciate you answering. I will continue to test. The Adwords system seems to me to require users to have a very high level of trust in Google. It is almost a case of hand over your wallet and let Google take out what they say is a fair amount. They may be fair, I don't know, but trust requires some transparency, some explanations and some communication with clients or people get sceptical. Trust has to be earned with actions, not with slick marketing, never ending policies or just because someone says they can be trusted. I do know that if they have estimates, they should be somewhere near the mark or there is no point having them. To answer your questions Eric: My average CPC is around $1.80. I haven't tried bidding over $2.00 yet, I sense the required bid amounts will gradually increase to $2.00 all on their own sometime very soon. I am using just the search network.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Official First page and Top of Page Estimate

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472742?hl=en

The first page bid estimate is a guide, meant to give you greater insight with which to plan your bidding strategy -- but meeting your first page bid estimate isn’t a guarantee of ad position. Ad position will still depend on competition from other advertisers, the components of your Quality Score (expected clickthrough rate, ad relevance, and landing page experience), your CPC bid, the expected impact of extensions and other ad formats, your budget and account settings, and user and advertiser behavior.

Only tip I would give you, is work on your Unique Selling Proposition, and ROI projections. TEST. TEST TEST.

If your landing page doesn't convert from Free traffic , it won't convert from Paid Traffic.  Work your calls to action, make better landing pages, think like a customer.  do A/B testing on pages as well as ads.

Adwords is just a platform to get your message out.  If you website doesn't convert, it's not the platforms fault, 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Eric, all good advice. I will try and put my Adwords frustration to one side and keep testing.

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Really great advice and tips from Eric there. 

The only other thing I'd like to add is to keep an eye on your keyword match types. For certain keywords, changing the match type from broad to a more targeted option can help to reduce the CPC. If you haven't come across match types before, take a quick look here: http://goo.gl/PKmQ6B. 

Hope this helps! Good luck, and let us know how you're getting on! 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Rachel, I have the variations of the different match types in my key words. I feel like I have set up pretty well. I will continue to test and the post results here.