AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Error when trying to upload HTML5 Ads from GWD

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have design 4 banner adverts in GWD and I keep on getting an error message when trying to upload them to Adwords...?

"The ad you uploaded contains HTML5 code that we can not allow in our ads: style Please make sure that your ad meets our policy requirements, and remove any references to the tags above.

Learn more"

.. I have searched and check everything.. and for the life of me I just can not find anything that they are referring to...?

I have created the files under the DoubleClick environment when creating the new files... and use 2 pages in the file to create a loop to runs twice and then pauses... so just lots of tweets ... I really can't seem to think of anything out of the ordinary that Adwords would prevent me uploading for...!!

Does any one have an idea on what they would be referring to... I was under the impression using GWD would create the files perfectly for Adwords...?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Error when trying to upload HTML5 Ads from GWD

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello, Sean.

You've answered your own question: "I have created the files under the DoubleClick environment when creating the new files... "

Please use the AdWords environment for creating GWD ads that you intend to use in AdWords. Doubleclick is different and there are features that work in Doubleclick and don't work in AdWords.

Good luck.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Calin... :-)

Is there any way I can change it over with out having to redo them from scratch...?... I have found articles explaining how to change generic ads over to DoubleClick... but nothing explaining how to change from DoubleClick to Adwords...?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
From what I can see after creating two blank files, one for AdWords and the other for DoubleClick, this meta tag is different (look at the code view)

<meta name="environment" content="gwd-adwords">
<meta name="environment" content="gwd-doubleclick">

I don't know if there are also other files/references which are supposed to be removed when switching from DoubleClick to AdWords. You'll have to test.

The other option is copy paste between the DoubleClick file and a new AdWords file of the same size, if it works.

Sorry for not being able to come with a bulletproof solution.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I think there must be something a little deeper involved... I tried to do a test earlier today... I created a very simple banner in the DoubleClick environment.. all it had in it was a background image and the "tap area" with the clickTag... and I was able to upload the exported zip to adwords without any issues!.... so I am guessing as I was creating the banners it must have added in some code that is not supported in the adwords environment.. :-(...

I am very new to GWD... and these are the first lot of HTML5 banners I have ever attempted since converting from Flash... ;-)... You mentioned that I can copy from my original to another file created in the correct environment... but I have found that the copy paste actions don't really work... I have tried to copy or cut the layers from the one document to the new one... but this is not working at all... do you know why.... or have a work around?...

Thank you so much for you help...

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
I see. Copy / paste does not work, indeed. Pretty frustrating. Unfortunately, other than trying to compare the files and lots of trial and error when removing lines from the HTML file, the only thing that (apparently) is left is restarting the project.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Not the answer I was hoping for... :-(... Thank you for all your help... I guess I will have to do them over again... ;-)... big lesson learnt... !!!

Thanks Calin... !!!...

Will let you know how I go..!!!

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

I share your frustration, Sean. I was very upbeat when it was launched, hoping that we're destined for great things together Smiley Happy (GWD and I) and then I realised it's still in beta and many things that I expected to work in a certain way actually didn't.

Nevertheless, it's a free tool that gives us the opportunity to go where no Flash ad has gone before Smiley Happy. And that still is something. I know, I know, I'm trying to see the half full side Smiley Happy.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Calin.... after doing one of the ads over again in the AdWords environment and testing with the same error message I decided to contact AdWords to find out from their side exactly what I was doing wrong.... I emailed the zipped file over to them and after a couple of days they got back to me!!

Their answer is that I am using SVG files in my artwork (to keep file sizes down)... and Adwords are not accepting the code within the <style> tags of the SVG...???... their advice is that I should rather convert the SVG's to PNG or JPEG... which is VERY frustrating as they have .svg listed on their supported files under HTML5 ads on this page... https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/176108?hl=en-AU...
but they don't support SVG?... do they even know what they are doing them selves... feels like no one really knows!!!

... anyway.. thought I would share.. in case someone else comes across this issue... ;-)

Thanks for the help... :-)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Unfortunately ... after a week of wasted hours that I won't be able to bill my client for... my glass is half empty... ;-) ... But thanks for trying to put a positive spin on things... :-)..!!!!