2.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Error when pasting Image Display Ads from one account to another

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am trying to copy a collection of Image Display Ads from one account to another.

I created them online, and downloaded my campaigns to AdWords Editor.

In AdWords Editor, the Image Display Ads show up under the Display tab in my source account, and I can Copy my campaign.

But when I try to Paste into a different destination account, I get this error:

"Are you sure you want to paste? The clipboard contains display ads or audiences with user lists. These items are copied from a different account and won't be pasted. Do you want to proceed with pasting all other items?" If I click Yes, then only the Text Display Ads are pasted.

I also tried to select the Image Display Ads themselves, but then Paste is grayed out in the destination account.

Can it be done, and if so, how?

I really would like it if I don't have to rebuild each of my Image Display Ads!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nancy N
September 2015

Re: Error when pasting Image Display Ads from one account to another

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
For technical reasons, display ads cannot be copied between accounts. Each ad contains certain internal information that is tied to a particular account, and that Editor cannot replicate in a different account.

I'm afraid your only option is to create one copy of each ad manually, in the online interface. Once an ad exists in the account, you can use Editor to copy and paste it freely between different campaigns and ad groups of this account.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nancy N
September 2015

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
For technical reasons, display ads cannot be copied between accounts. Each ad contains certain internal information that is tied to a particular account, and that Editor cannot replicate in a different account.

I'm afraid your only option is to create one copy of each ad manually, in the online interface. Once an ad exists in the account, you can use Editor to copy and paste it freely between different campaigns and ad groups of this account.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
any update about this case?

there was a workaround posted @ linkedin,

- your should select the campaign containing the ads on the source account, right click it, and choose "Export Spreadsheet with images (zip)"
- open the target account, you have to choose File - Import CSV - From File ... and choose the zip you got from source account
You will get a new campaign in your account, with exactly the same structure as the one of your designer, and you'll probably only have to change its name. Once the image ads are in your AdWords Editor, you may copy / paste your ads to your liking.

would it work?

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
You are thinking about image ads. You could just copy/paste them (or complete campaigns containing them) - Editor fully supports them, and can happily copy them within the same account or across accounts.

The issue is with display ads, not with image ads. Editor provides only a limited support for them; in particular, they cannot be copied across accounts.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your reply, My issue is with display ads unfortunately. It takes
time to redesign with custom Edits in text & image adjustments.