AdWords
6.3K members online now
6.3K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Error importing CSV/ or paste as text (adwords editor)

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi everybody,

I’m relatively new to Google AdWords and since this week I've been trying to import campaigns by using a CSV File. First I constructed my own CSV based on the example on Google, but after importing this file I get a lot of errors.  After that I tried exporting a CSV from an existing campaign and only replacing the campaign name, ad groups and keywords. Exactly the way I imported it from AdWords.  Even after trying it like this I get the same errors.

I’m trying to import a campaign with 22 Ad Groups and of all those just 3 import correctly (I import them either directly as a CSV or just paste as text).  If import as text I can see the 3 Ad Groups that to appear properly have a different lay out in the editor than the other 19 . I tried to upload screenshots, but I couldn't figure how to. If it might happen, please ask I post them gladly!!

AdWords editor gives me the notification that 228 rows are imported with warnings and 114 rows are not imported at all. I receive the following errors:

•          Only comments can contain multiple lines; field treated as empty.
  •          Only comments can contain multiple lines; field treated as empty. Duplicate text ad

The reason AdWords sees some of my text ads as duplicated is, because all the keywords and the ads belonging to the wrongly imported ad groups are getting placed in the 3 ad groups that do work.

Sorry for the long text, but I’ve tried many things and looking for solutions online, but I still can’t find anything.

I’m hoping someone of this forum can help me!

Many thanks in advance!

Bram

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bram K
September 2015

Re: Error importing CSV/ or paste as text (adwords editor)

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
Somehow, you have a trailing end-of-line character in all cells containing "Adg003 Sample" and "Adg004 Sample" ad group names. In other words, each such cell contains two lines of text, though the second line is empty. You can see that if you select such a cell in Excel and hit F2 - note how the cursor is positioned on the second line, under the name; normally, it would be at the end of the first line.

You'd need to clean up these characters before you can import the file successfully.

View solution in original post

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
The error message "only comments can contain multiple lines" suggests you are trying to place multiple lines of text into a single cell of a spreadsheet. That's not going to work.

What tool are you using to edit CSV files? Perhaps this tool generates incorrect format. Could you perhaps upload somewhere a sample CSV file that reproduces the problem, and post a link here (take care the sample file doesn't contain any information you would consider private)?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you for replying!

Ok, I understand what AdWords and you mean, but I´m not really sure how I added those multiple lines. I see the error occuring when I copy it in Adwords as well, but I have no clue how to stop it. I changed the format several times. I use Excel to edit the CSV Files.

I created a sample file to show you. [URL=http://wikisend.com/download/312708/TEST.csv]TEST.csv[/URL]
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bram K
September 2015

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
Somehow, you have a trailing end-of-line character in all cells containing "Adg003 Sample" and "Adg004 Sample" ad group names. In other words, each such cell contains two lines of text, though the second line is empty. You can see that if you select such a cell in Excel and hit F2 - note how the cursor is positioned on the second line, under the name; normally, it would be at the end of the first line.

You'd need to clean up these characters before you can import the file successfully.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I cleaned it up and it works perfectly! Thank you