Guide Me
star_border

Enabled or paused keywords in deleted Ad Groups - cleaning account

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

1) How do you perform a clean up of Ad Groups which need to be deleted. ( Edit) Meaning : do you also delete Ads and keywords from them first ?

2) Do you just delete the Ad Groups ? Because I noticed how the keywords still apear as "Enabled" or deleted but belonging to a deleted ad group so it mixes keywords with the actual active ones when I try to filter keywords.

3)Do these enabled keywords in deleted ad groups have an influence on the account as for example if they represent duplicates with keywords from active ad groups ?

4) Do these keywords also impact on the account QS ?

Thank you.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Re: Enabled or paused keywords in deleted Ad Groups - cleaning account

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Good morning.

1) & 2) You don't need to delete the content. If you delete the Ad Groups, the content is automatically deactivated.

The Keywords and Ads still show as "enabled" because they were part of the specific Ad Group when it was deleted. Should you decide re re-enable the Ad Group, the original content will be there.

3) Deleted keywords are not eligible to serve ads and consequently do not compete with active keywords.

4) Anything that was ever in an account has an impact on the account quality rating. Deleting them makes no difference--the performance metrics they produced when active are still a part of the account history.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Re: Enabled or paused keywords in deleted Ad Groups - cleaning account

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok Thanks.

My intuition told me that there was a need to also delete the inner keywords and ads for some reason, but apparently there is no profit in doing that so I might aswell keep them and delete just the ad groups.

Another solution that comes to mind is to delete the content of the Ad group and just rename the ad group, because it seems that by renaming they do not become also "deleted". Then I would populate the renamed ad group with useful ads and keywords.