Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Enabled Ads in deleted ad group

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have discovered in a messy account several ad groups deleted but with dozens of Ads kept enabled.

Do these ads have an impact to the limits of the account ? 

Shouldn't they get deleted as soon as the ad group was deleted ?

Does their CTR influence the account as to lower the account CTR too much ?

When do you decide that a new client has messed the account too much and it is better for him/her to open a fresh new account because all their attempts and mind-changing lowered the QSes and the CTR of the top keywords too much ?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Re: Enabled Ads in deleted ad group

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Good morning.

1) Deleted items do count against total keyword "limits" yes.

2) If the Ad Groups are deleted, then the content in the Ad Groups is inactive. There is no value in deleting the content separately.

3) Anything that was ever active in an account is always part of the account--whether it's active, paused, or deleted. Over time, if the account's performance changes, that "recent history" will have more weight on the account's overall quality than older performance metrics.

4) When to have an account deleted and start over is really a personal opinion and experience issue. Advertisers tend to do this when they feel the original account is too damaged to recover. Since the "quality ranking" of the root domain name will follow to the new account, it's not really a fresh start, but can be of value for an advertiser who drastically misunderstood how to use AdWords and where they don't have the time or the money to spend "recovering" their original account.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

The main reason why I asked this is because I have seen suspended accounts after 2 years of not using some ads that were "paused" because a new policy re-reviewed those ads and found something wrong.

So I am asking if deleting also Ads which remain "Enabled" in a Deleted Ad group is a necessary step to avoid some future suspension in 2015 or something Smiley Happy

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

Okay, well, your original question did not say they were disapproved ads, so I wasn't addressing that specific situation.  Aside from ads with problems, I stand by my original response.

Disapproved ads are a different case. I've always found that it's much, much, much better to go in and fix the ads that were disapproved. Even if I intend to delete the ads or Ad Groups after I do so, it's better not to have anything that "breaks the rules" sitting anywhere in the account.

The case of a "new pollicy" creating a disapproval status for a deleted ad has not, in my experience, really come up that often. We do occasionally see questions about it here. In that case, my advice would be the same. Fix whatever is causing the disapproval message to trigger.

Theresa
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

For 3 days after deleting 1 Ad group and the keywords within It I have witnessed the strangest thing. A message appears to say "you have 1 ad group without targeting" and when I clicked "view" it sent me to the deleted ad group with no keywords, as if I had to fix it since it is deleted. I hope in time this message will dissapear.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni

The message will not disappear until/unless you go back to the Ad Group and add some kind of targeting.

Theresa
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*