Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Eliminating unwanted clicks strategy

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

We're looking to begin a campaign for a partner of ours which we send motion graphics / animation projects. In hopes to draw in new clients for the solution, we're looking to start a campaign which targets the following keywords:

• motion graphics video
  • animation video

Anything more long tail than that (like hire web animation agency etc) shows up as "null" in the keyword planner, as if it doesn't generate any search volume.

Since the prices for the videos can range from $4,000 - $12,000 -- and there is a budget allocated for the lead acquisition, my questions are the following:

1. What are your thoughts of using Adwords for such high ticket products / services?
  2. When verifying the search volume estimates for the keywords listed above, we get something like 3,600 monthly searches + $2.98 CPC. I mean in the 3,600 monthly searches, we're uncertain how many of those are actually people needing to buy such service. Would an appropriate strategy be to set the ad text to say "Buy Pro Animation Video -- Starting at $4,000 bla bla bla"? Or can that also lead to unwanted click by curious individuals? I've always assumed that the more direct we go with the ad copy, the less likelihood of drawing in unwanted clicks, but I can be mistaken. What are your thoughts on the ideal strategy to draw in good leads for this kind of service.

Cheers,

Michal

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Eliminating unwanted clicks strategy

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Michal, excellent question.

I have a couple of "high value/low volume" Accounts and they can be very difficult to optimise, having a number of key problems:

#1 - Conversions tend to be infrequent and irregular, making it difficult to optimise automatically (or at all!)

#2 - You have to allow for a relatively high spend without conversion which increases the risk for new Campaigns

#3 - Many conversions are likely to occur via phone or email, so you need to ensure you consider tracking methods for these channels

On points #1 & #2, as an example, one Account I manage has some Keywords that won't convert for weeks, sometimes months and which under any normal situation you would have paused or removed them.  However, the value of a sale is such that over time they provide a healthy positive ROAS.  Convincing a client that they need to continue spending on a Keyword that has racked up $2000 in costs without a sale can be... challenging.

On point #3, you must make sure you use phone tracking of some kind, even if it's only the basic Google call forwarding number.  Ideally you should look at a third party solution such as IfByPhone - I've seen some astonishing data come in from such tracking, where it became clear that phone conversions via AdWords were way higher than we'd thought.

I think you're spot on with your analysis of the pros and cons of including a (relatively high) price in your Ads.  Yes, you'll deter people looking for cheap (or free) solutions, but you might also attract interest clickers.  However, I think you'll deter more than you attract so on balance I'd say it's a good idea.  You might also consider using values in your Keywords.  Potential customers are likely to have a round number figure in mind for their budget so bidding on Keywords containing actual values such as $5000, $8000, $10000, etc. might be interesting, and could pick up searches such as "what sort of video can I get made for $5000".

Tracking, though, has got to be your number one concern.  When conversions are high value and infrequent, it's vital that you catch every single one so I'd spend most of your effort at the beginning making sure you've tied down your tracking as much as possible.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Jon,

Absolutely fantastic reply -- thank you. In one way your answer gives me hope, but in others it worries me because all of our services and products are "high value" -- and it's not only the animation stuff, but also the web development, design and platform building services.

To answer to your concerns:

• My entire landing page methodology is already designed + developed to be fully optimized for conversion. I also have set things up if I wanted to run a CPA campaign (thoughts on that?)

• I might need to add the phone tracking abilities, will definitely look into it.

Hearing that costs can rack up to $2,000 without a sale is a frightening thought! How much management do these "low volume" campaigns require on your end? I plan to run these campaigns myself as I believe I have enough knowledge + marketing expertise to handle this -- but we'll see with time.

More questions:

• When dealing with "high value/low volume" do you recommend to stick with exact match type? Or seperate all match types in different groups and test them all?

• Given that I plan to include great videos of me speaking on a "white background wall" and enticing viewers to convert right at that moment + split testing many versions of the landing page -- have you ever seen an uplift in conversions when using a speaker + video above the fold?

• What are your thoughts on requesting a deposit for a project, rather than "quote submission"? Any experience with those?

Cheers!

Michal

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Michal B,

Welcome to the Adwords community. 

To me, the ability to eliminate unwanted clicks is one of the most important aspects of a successful ad campaign. It makes sure that your campaigns are on their way to fetch you the highest ROI possible. 

To your question number 1, I would say - Why not?

AdWords is a robust system and it has the ability to fit almost any price level of products/services. So, in your case as well, yes, it's a fit. You must already have noticed many of your competitors already advertising the similar services with AdWords. 

To your second question - I personally believe that a greater part of unwanted clicks that a campaign might attract is the result of less-effective, ambiguous, or confusing ad texts. It's always better to analyze the target audience, their relevant preferences, search behavior, and the goal of the campaigns, before getting to write Ad Copies. 

One of the best ways to achieve this is to act as customers.

Think what you would have typed in Google if you had needed the exact product/service that you, yourself, offer. It's very helpful. 

Then, going with the long-tail-keywords or more of niche-targeted keywords also prove helpful in eliminating unwanted clicks. To make effective use of long tail keywords, you can consider these points:

1. Discover relevant long-tail keywords (Think from a customer's perspective)
  2. Group keywords into differently themed Ad Groups
  3. Do a final analysis and remove less-useful long-tails
  4. Write direct and more targeted Ads copies 
  5. Have separate landing pages for every Ad Group

Above all, Negative Keywords. Yes, effective use of Negative keywords can eliminate a major percentage of unwanted clicks. 

Hope it helps.

Thanks

Ratan

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the warm welcome Ratan. In terms of good quantity in long-tail keywords, how many do you suggest? Also do you typically test all match types in separate ad groups? Or do you usually just assign the match type based on the goals of the campaign, and shape of the ad copy?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Michal,

I tend to manage the high value Accounts as much as I do the higher volume, lower value ones, but the methodology is different.  I'm fortunate that in both of these Accounts I had substantial historical data to refer to, meaning I knew that "Product A" sold and what rate it typically sold at (organically and via paid) so it was less of a risk to allow costs to rack up before conversion.  I'm also fortunate in that although these Accounts are low volume, they have a lot of products so sales across the entire product range subsidise those products that convert very infrequently.

The spend figure I quoted was just plucked out of the air, but it's plausible.  If you've got a product that sells at a net profit of say, $6000, you should still be quite happy to spend $2000 acquiring that sale - this is the basics of bidding for ROAS (Return on Advertising Spend).  The "game" here is how long and how high you allow the costs to rack up before you say it's not working, and that's really tough.  Last year I had a new product in one Account that I knew had a net profit around $3000; by the time the spend on that product reached $2000, I was sweating quite heavily (it took about 5 weeks to reach this).  I had already made the decision to pause the Group but when I went into the Account I found a conversion; better yet, the conversion wasn't for a single item, but for two, at a value close to $6000.  (I'm not making this up, it actually happened).  Of course, if you're lucky, you'll get a conversion early - there's no way of telling when they'll come - but with high value items you do need to give them a reasonable chance to convert; people are not going to spend these sums lightly, they'll take time to consider it - they may have to put the purchase through administration or management - so it could even be the very first click you received that ends up converting, but it could take 6 weeks to come through.

As far as match types goes, the old AdWords mantra of "it depends" comes into play.  I'm using pretty much all types (except simple broad) and can't point to any particular type that works better than others.  In the verticals I'm dealing with it's necessary to cast a fairly wide net to capture potential customers so I use more Phrase & MBM than you might expect.  Unfortunately, with such Accounts, time is the only answer; once you've been running for a year or so you will probably have enough data to make informed decisions, even with a low conversion rate, but there's no shortcut and it's going to be tough in the first couple of months.

Videos... hmmm.  Personally I'm not a big fan of video promotions on web landing pages; to me even the best produced still seem forced and they have practical disadvantages too.  Video promotions require sound, so if this is your primary conversion tactic you're instantly losing anyone who can't use sound for some reason - they're in an office, or in a public space, etc.  Video also requires bandwidth, so you're running the risk of losing mobile customers without mobile data, or where their data is limited (it's really annoying to hit a landing page on your mobile and be hit with an unexpected video stream; it's almost rude).  Personally, I'd make your case with good old fashioned text and good images, and have a separate page for videos/example work, which is labelled clearly as containing video footage.

In terms of quotes/deposits, are you talking about AdWords costs or the costs of producing the animations?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Jon,

Thanks again for the detailed reply.

Yep, I can fully get how having data on past conversions could be of good use to know if something's going the right or wrong way.

You mention that you have managed accounts with high value products -- my next tsunami of questions to you are:

1. Were these product's prices (that seem to be priced in the upper single digit thousands / lower double digit thousands) displayed on the landing page / ad copy?

2. And was the conversion designed to actually complete the purchase directly on the website? So full payment (or some kind of partial)? Or were they "inquiries" for quotation / discussion?

3. Were these products tangible or intangible (service oriented)?

4. Do you personally have data to validate a certain ROI range for high value service products? Or do they fluctuate greatly in many occasions do to multiple sales / upselling / larger lifetime value?

5. If I decide to purposely remove mobile traffic from the equation when running campaigns for such services, am I losing out much in your opinion?

6. Looking at the line of business I'm in, and the fact that I plan to run these campaigns to promote only high value services such as top notch web development, design, platforms, video animation etc -- what's your take on the time it'll take me to get the data I need to make informed decisions for campaigns of this nature?

As far as videos go, I'm somewhat sold on the idea that having a stunning looking landing page + explosive video that's friendly, shows a face to the company (I'll most likely be the face, which may create trust as the CEO is directly speaking to the visitor), and a video that's designed to persuade with a great script + good story / value ratios is a winning formulae for landing pages. Although I haven't tested it, I come from a sales background for years working for Hewlett Packard and Apple corporate, and having to speak to people daily I've developed a natural and friendly way to convey messages. Transpose that to a web based form, and you've got a winner (in my eyes) -- but heck who knows, you seem to add good insights regarding the fact that sometimes people can't watch a video, can't stream etc -- but maybe all of the video stuff could be split tested?

We've developed a proprietary to blend our landing page architecture + split testing directly in the HTML / CSS markup -- and feed the data into Google Analytics via API to push the data into experiments. It's quite nifty when you get to do it all while building the landing pages, and don't need some third party platforms to handle split testing.

Thanks for all your help, I feel like I'm learning more about Adwords just by speaking in this community, than assuming from any blog based insights. Feel free to reach out to me if you need some advice for web related topics at any point. I consult large agencies on best practices to deliver products that are purely designed to act as tools for driving ROI and exponential growth -- due to the fact that we built a proprietary platform/method for product building / testing etc.

Cheers,

Michal