AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Effect of Bid Only and Bid Adjustment on other targeting methods

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I am trying to get my head around the effect of 'Bid Only' on other targeting methods. I have an ad that uses 'Target and Bid' on Placements because I know where most of my customers are likely to come from but I also don't want to miss out on other opportunities so have added Topics and Interests but with 'Bid Only'.

Some of the topics and Interests I have chosen may be too wide or aren't totally relevant so I have used 'Enable Bid Adjustments' and reduced some of them by 50% so I don't pay too much for clicks that are less likely to lead to a conversion.

What I don't really understand is how Google classifies web sites or applies these 'Bid Only' areas to my bids. Is it possible that some of the sites I am specifically targeting or customers using those sites are classified under those reduced topics or interests so I am unintentionally lowering my bid on those sites/customers or is 'Bid Only' targeting other sites and customers that don't fall under my placements?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Effect of Bid Only and Bid Adjustment on other targeting methods

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

Did you check this below reference explaining in detail how the targeting method works in Display Network and what permutation/combinations can arise out of specific targeting method:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1209882?hl=en

Let us know if that helps!

Pankaj

Re: Effect of Bid Only and Bid Adjustment on other targeting methods

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks very much for your response. I have read that page but the examples seem to be based around age, gender or placements which seem more obvious and easier to understand. You are either Male or Female or between 20 and 40, or a specific web site etc.

They are also all about increasing your bid not decreasing it. Topics and interests seem a bit harder to understand.

I guess part of what I don't understand is how sites get classified in Adsense. If it is up to the site owner they may choose topics that aren't totally relevent to get more ads and I am worried I may mark those same topics down because they aren't so relevent to me and the bid therefore gets reduced even though the core subject of the targeted site is very relevent.

Potential customers may also have interests identified by Google that I have marked down even though they also have the interests I am after.