AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Edit or Create New Campaign

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi community,

I am new to adwords and only have less than 1 year experience. I have several questions to be asked, but I think I will start asking one by one Smiley Happy

As the title said, now I am confused about which one I should do, edit current campaign or create a new campaign.

The condition is, every month I try testing the campaign settings. For example :

- 1st month, I set up a search network only campaign, target location to 10 cities, create several adgroups with exact match and phrase match keywords.

- 2nd month, because I found that some cities not doing well and the CTR people click on midnight is low, I adjust the settings to 7 cities and make the schedule to 7 AM - 10 PM.

- 3rd month, I am trying several new things, such as more categorized adgroups, different ads copies, add negative keywords, etc. This month, I copy the last campaign and edit this new campaign.

- 4th month, I have a new promotion for the product, so I need to change the landing page URL, ads copies, remarketing picture, etc. Just like before, I copy the last campaign and edit that campaign.

- 5th month and so on, I always copy and then edit the campaign.

Why I copy/create a new campaign? Because I think if I just edit the last campaign, my data for the last campaign will be deleted. Then I cannot compare it again with the new campaign using different settings.

But I am still not sure if what I am doing is the right thing. So, what is the best practice for this situation? Thank you!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Baskara A
September 2015

Re: Edit or Create New Campaign

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Baskara,

As you have mentioned all activity that you have followed in your accounts, is good practice of campaign optimization, so in the case of Campaign optimization process, creating a new campaign is not a good idea, so you should always edit your your exiting campaign.

E.g if you see that certain hours are not performing, then you can use ad scheduling and change the campaign 's setting accordingly.

If you see that some keywords are not performing you can pause those keywords, and add some new keywords, from the Search query report.

If you regularly create the new campaign, your campaign have fresh data, it will not help you to achieve the desired objective.
One more important thing "Campaign optimization is continuous process, so it doesn't mean you always create new campaign."
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Baskara A
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Baskara,

As you have mentioned all activity that you have followed in your accounts, is good practice of campaign optimization, so in the case of Campaign optimization process, creating a new campaign is not a good idea, so you should always edit your your exiting campaign.

E.g if you see that certain hours are not performing, then you can use ad scheduling and change the campaign 's setting accordingly.

If you see that some keywords are not performing you can pause those keywords, and add some new keywords, from the Search query report.

If you regularly create the new campaign, your campaign have fresh data, it will not help you to achieve the desired objective.
One more important thing "Campaign optimization is continuous process, so it doesn't mean you always create new campaign."
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Rakesh Kumar,

Thank you for your reply. Now I understand that campaign optimization is better to edit current campaign rather than create another campaign using new settings.

If that is the case, then my following questions are:

1. If I have a new promotion, let's say I want to display information about Mid Year Sale, should I edit the ads copy and landing page URL or create new campaign and pause the last campaign? (the keywords and other settings are the same, because my goal is not optimizing last campaign, but displaying a new information to people)

2. If editing campaign is better, then I cannot prepare for the next promotion activity. Now I always prepare a new campaign for next month promotion and just paused it. When the promotion starts, I pause the last campaign and start the new campaign. Can I have your advice about this matter?

Many thanks!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Baskara, I would agree on Rakesh point - there is no reason to create new campaign all the time. 

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Hi Baskara, if you will dublicate campaigns all the time you will get no food for Google if yo are going to take advantage of conversion optimizer later on.

Also even if you are getting most of the leads from 7 AM - 10 AM, I would suggest to turn other hours on for 2 reasons:
1) Statistical reliable number to decide that only 7 AM - 10 AM is the only effective time is very high so I am not sure that during first 2 month you came to right conclusion.
2) Even if other hours do not work so effectively, there is a sense to set bid ajustments so you will pay less in other hours - as a result your cpc would be lower and even with lower conversion rate in bad hours you will still get profit.
But if you have limited budget and you are satisfied with amount of clicks and cpc from 7 AM - 10 AM you can keep it.

Instead of dublicating campaign each time, keep it - you will not lose needed data. Also you can experiement with other types of campaigns such as YouTube , call-only, different types of remarketing, DSA etc.

Cheers,
Alexey
Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

If you have new promotions on every month, don't worry, you can simply pause old ad copy and create the new ads and change the Landing page with new offers.

This is the beauty of AdWords, that one take advantage.Apart from this, there are othere tools that helps your time as well.

AdWords Editor for bulk Changes:- https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2484521?hl=en

Set Automatic Rules for New Ads and Pause old ads. https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472779?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you @UAWC U@Alexey C, and @Rakesh Kumar for all the answers!

Now I already get the point. And sorry for my mistake, I mean 7 AM to 10 PM Smiley Happy

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
Baskara, you are welcome. Even 10PM - 7AM can be quite usefull if you will take advantage of bid ajustments.
Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’