AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Dynamic remarketing - New to the system

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Firstly, apologies if a question like this has been asked recently. There seems to be so much information out there and many ways of asking the same question that I am not entirely sure what is relevant.

I have been tasked with setting up new creative for a Dynamic Ad campaign, using Google Web Designer.

We are currently using the very basic templates that you can modify through AdWords but would like to have something with a more branded feel. I have created this by slightly modifying one of the templates via Rich Media Gallery and have a result we are happy to go along with at this time. We have a "feed" file that holds all of the required product data from the site via Merchant Services and from what I understand the template will refer back to this once uploaded.

Now, I read through the PDF for the templates (with some difficulty) and noticed the section about the .json file that can be adapted to suit your campaign. I made modifications to this file that suit our current brand and message and seem to have got this particular part working together with the template when previewing through GWD.

I have now published the files locally but notice that it does not include the modified .json file that I created. Do I need to include this file manually or will I need to make adjustments/add it to our feed file in Merchant Services? 

Again, very sorry for what ay be a duplicate question but currently, I cannot find a comprehensive walk-through that will guide me from beginning to end on Dynamic Ads. I agree, there is information to be gathered, but for a novice it is not very good at explaining the process clearly (from what I have found).

Morgan

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Morgan B
April 2016

Re: Dynamic remarketing - New to the system

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello, Morgan and thank you for asking this question.

I've been waiting for ages for dynamic ads to become available in Google Web Designer, I've actually asked for this feature to become available about a year and a half ago and now I've missed it Smiley Happy.

So here I am frantically trying to test it. I've quickly created an ad, a dummy one and when I'm trying to upload it I get this message: "The HTML5 ad is a custom layout for a different ad format."

Upon reading some help material I've also noticed this info: "This option isn't available yet in all accounts (if it is available, you'll see it as an option when you upload your own layout)."

So I just can't try to upload an ad to see how it looks in the preview stage, in my AdWords system. And I couldn't find a PDF with information regarding templates either.

However, my guess is that the json file you've worked with is not necessary once you upload the file. It is necessary for the design / preview / adjust / rinse and repeat stage, but once in AdWords, the system will pull data from your Google Merchant Feed and use it to generate your ads, just as it does with the dynamic ads you can create by using the templates found in the AdWords UI itself.

My suggestion would be for you to take your ad, without the json file you used for previewing and start the upload process and see how it looks, in preview mode, with your feed data, right before saving it.

Sorry for not being able to provide you with more "to the point" info, but it seems your rights in the AdWords eco-system exceed mine Smiley Happy.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Morgan B
April 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello, Morgan and thank you for asking this question.

I've been waiting for ages for dynamic ads to become available in Google Web Designer, I've actually asked for this feature to become available about a year and a half ago and now I've missed it Smiley Happy.

So here I am frantically trying to test it. I've quickly created an ad, a dummy one and when I'm trying to upload it I get this message: "The HTML5 ad is a custom layout for a different ad format."

Upon reading some help material I've also noticed this info: "This option isn't available yet in all accounts (if it is available, you'll see it as an option when you upload your own layout)."

So I just can't try to upload an ad to see how it looks in the preview stage, in my AdWords system. And I couldn't find a PDF with information regarding templates either.

However, my guess is that the json file you've worked with is not necessary once you upload the file. It is necessary for the design / preview / adjust / rinse and repeat stage, but once in AdWords, the system will pull data from your Google Merchant Feed and use it to generate your ads, just as it does with the dynamic ads you can create by using the templates found in the AdWords UI itself.

My suggestion would be for you to take your ad, without the json file you used for previewing and start the upload process and see how it looks, in preview mode, with your feed data, right before saving it.

Sorry for not being able to provide you with more "to the point" info, but it seems your rights in the AdWords eco-system exceed mine Smiley Happy.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Calin,

Yes, I think you're right. The next step should be to try and upload the file to see how it renders. We seem to have the option to upload a template so I will see if it allows one from GWD.

We have been thinking of putting the required data from the .json file into our current feed .xml. This will be a bit of a testing process I assume and now see that these templates supplied by Rich Media Gallery are in the very early stages.

Thanks for your help and information on this issue and I will get back to you with the results.

Morgan.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
As an update to this.

We have uploaded the ads using the new templates and have no requirement for the information in the .json file. The only parts that we were changing were the button colour, text, and roll colour. All of those we were able to change in the AdWords editor before publishing. All seems to have gone well otherwise.

Thanks for the information.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Thank you for getting back to us, Morgan. I'm now eagerly awaiting for the availability of this feature in my account, too Smiley Happy.