AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Dynamic destination urls

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Is there a way to have users who click on a link from my ad land on a page that is relevant to their search? I'm new to adwords and have read about setting keyword level destination urls but as I understand this may be more difficult if I have many different products that users can search for. I have read about dynamic destination urls but I'm not quite sure how that works. Another approach I have seen is to set the destination url to a page that extracts the search term from the referral string and redirects the user. Is this something that can be done in php?

Apologize if my question is worded badly, not too clear on the terminology. Would appreciate any input or some guidance. Thanks.

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author kevin m
September 2015

Re: Dynamic destination urls

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Kevin, as you learn AdWords, one thing that'll become apparent very quickly is that there is usually more than one way to do something and the phrase "it depends" will crop up a lot.  So, further to Steve's reply, which is a perfectly fine idea, I'd like to give you a brief idea of how AdWords structure typically works in your scenario.

When a site sells multiple products, potentially in set "categories", it's common to set Campaigns up at the category level, then use Ad Groups to sub-divide those categories.  So, for example, if you sold TVs, Blu-Ray players and Digital Cameras, you might have a Campaign for TVs, one for the Blu-Rays and one for the cameras.  In the TV Campaign you might have a Group for 3D TVs, one for 44", one for 50" and so on.  With this kind of structure, by the time you get to the Ad Group level, your Destination URL is already likely to be quite accurate - someone searching for a 50" TV would be taken to your page showin all your 50" TVs, for example.  If you wanted to further sub-divide the products (perhaps by brand or type) you could either create Campaigns that are already more precise (e.g. a 3D TVs Campaign, with Ad Groups for size) or simply add more Groups so that an entire Group is devoted to 50" 3D TVs.

Although keyword level destination URLs sound useful, in practice I rarely use them since for me if a Keyword within a Group needs to land somewhere different to the other Keywords in the Group, that probably indicates the Group needs to be split and further defined.  Where they can be useful is in appending extra data (as you suggest) that allows the site to respond to a particular Keyword, while the Group itself still has a tight theme.

If that's not confused you enough, you could also explore Shopping Campaigns, although these do require some setup in the Merchant Center.

Good luck!

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Kevin,

The simplest way to achieve what you are looking for is to use a dynamic search campaign. With this type of campaign you decide which section of your website to target - with a store this is usually a product category - and then write your ad except the headline and the destination url.

Google then scans your site, and matches search terms to the text in the selected category, triggers an ad and writes the headline to best reflect the search term... if the user clicks on the ad they are sent to the page with the text that triggered the match in the first instance.

I think that could be a good start for you.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author kevin m
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Kevin, as you learn AdWords, one thing that'll become apparent very quickly is that there is usually more than one way to do something and the phrase "it depends" will crop up a lot.  So, further to Steve's reply, which is a perfectly fine idea, I'd like to give you a brief idea of how AdWords structure typically works in your scenario.

When a site sells multiple products, potentially in set "categories", it's common to set Campaigns up at the category level, then use Ad Groups to sub-divide those categories.  So, for example, if you sold TVs, Blu-Ray players and Digital Cameras, you might have a Campaign for TVs, one for the Blu-Rays and one for the cameras.  In the TV Campaign you might have a Group for 3D TVs, one for 44", one for 50" and so on.  With this kind of structure, by the time you get to the Ad Group level, your Destination URL is already likely to be quite accurate - someone searching for a 50" TV would be taken to your page showin all your 50" TVs, for example.  If you wanted to further sub-divide the products (perhaps by brand or type) you could either create Campaigns that are already more precise (e.g. a 3D TVs Campaign, with Ad Groups for size) or simply add more Groups so that an entire Group is devoted to 50" 3D TVs.

Although keyword level destination URLs sound useful, in practice I rarely use them since for me if a Keyword within a Group needs to land somewhere different to the other Keywords in the Group, that probably indicates the Group needs to be split and further defined.  Where they can be useful is in appending extra data (as you suggest) that allows the site to respond to a particular Keyword, while the Group itself still has a tight theme.

If that's not confused you enough, you could also explore Shopping Campaigns, although these do require some setup in the Merchant Center.

Good luck!

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Kevin,

I'm just going to address the last part of your post: "set the destination url to a page that extracts the search term from the referral string and redirects the user."

You're going to find that this is impossible with secure search, which Google enforces for just about everyone. That means you won't be able to see the actual search term. The best you can do is add a ValueTrack parameter to your destination: ?keyword={keyword}.

That will show you the keyword that triggered your ad, not the actual search term.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords