Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Dynamic Search Ad tracking URLs

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

I decided to try out the new Dynamic Search Ad Campaign type. It's up and running and I've had lots of impressions and a few clicks. However, I'm not sure I set up the URL correctly. I followed all the instructions in the help pages and ended up with something that looks like this:

store.company.com/{lpurlpath}?mytrackingcode=xyz

Normally, this is exactly how my links look (minus the lpurlpath part). However, when I vew my Search Terms report under Auto Targets, the Destination URL column is showing links without the tracking code. In the one instance that a tracking code was shown, it was the wrong code (someone else's affiliate code).

I have attempted to search on my own terms to see my my own ads, but can't get them to come up because they show so rarely.

How can I be sure that my links are being generated correctly?

Thanks in advance

Re: Dynamic Search Ad tracking URLs

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks, David. I really appreciate the reply.

I did try using the Ad Preview and Diagnosis tool. Since it's a Dynamic Search Campaign, I have no actual keywords since those are generated automatically by Google. So I tried the terms that have triggered my ads over the last couple of days. I didn't get any results. It simply said that the term did not trigger any of my ads. I can't go to the Keywords tab and look at the word bubble next to each one like I would in a standard search campaign because, as I mentioned, the campaign has automatically generated keywords and that tab is blank.

This seems like a very promising (and convenient) type of campaign. If I can get it up and running, it will save me a lot of time setting up campaigns for all my products.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

I wanted to post a quick update. It would appear that my links are working properly. I finally had my first conversion.

I still can't use the Ad Preview tool to check my ad URLs, but I finally was able to bring up one of my own text ads using regular Google search and saw the proper tracking code carry through.

Apparently, the search term report under Auto Targets does not show the full destination URL with the dynamic tracking codes.