Guide Me
star_border

Dynamic Remarketing with Group ID's?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Community,

I'm in the process of setting up the dynamic remarketing scripts for an eCommerce client. They sell apparel products that include variants for sizes. In our Merchant Center feeds I use the product ID from their eComm platform (which is consistent across all variations of that item) as the [group_id] and append the size attribute to the group_id as the unique product ID ([id] in merchant feed) for each variation.

The question I have is about setting up the ecomm_prodid variable in the remarketing script. The actual [id] for each variant that I use in the data feed does not exist on the website. The [group_id] is the actual product id that appears on the website. If I set the ecomm_prodid variable as the [group_id] will it validate with my merchant center feed using that key and serve that product in the dynamic ad? Has anyone else had experience with this?

Thanks,

Alex

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ajmartin527
September 2015

Re: Dynamic Remarketing with Group ID's?

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
Hi Alex,

Great question and thanks for your patience while I checked our resources here!

The product ID in the smart pixel (remarketing code) needs to match the product ID from your Merchant Center feed. The product ID can be arbitrary, it doesn't need to be the UPI number. As long as it matches the product ID from Merchant Center and your feed, it will work.

However, the product ID can also match the Item Group ID, if you have them. I wasn't sure if you were referring to Item Group ID when you mentioned Group ID but if so, that is indeed doable!

Finally, if you cannot get those 2 ID's to match, you can add a custom attribute (c:drid) in your Merchant Center feed. Details can be found in the Custom Tracking Tab.

In summary, we will match Product ID to either the Product ID, Item Group ID, or DSmiley Very HappyRID from the Merchant Center feed.

Please keep in mind that once you set this up and submit everything, the web site can go under review for up to one week. That is the standard turnaround time for all dynamic remarketing campaign site reviews, so don't worry if it doesn't get up and running immediately.

I hope that answers your question and good luck with your campaigns!

Best,

Kristin

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee
That smiley face should be a custom attribute, c:drid. Sorry about that, it automatically turned into a happy face!

View solution in original post

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Alex,

I'm checking into this for you. Stay tuned!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Coco,

Thank you very much for your help on this! If the [item_group_id] solution is not feasible I'm thinking of a couple of solutions I wanted to get your feedback on.

Solution 1:
The majority of the products in our feed have standard sizes, always in stock, such as S, M, L, XL, etc. Since these are the values I have appended to the group id to create the individual product ID's for variants, would a feasible solution be to just just append the most common size to the value I pass into the ecomm_prodid variable in the remarketing script? Would there be any issues with this solution?

Solution 2:
I also noticed in the Merchant Center feed specifications that there is an [identifier_exists] attribute that can be set to FALSE if unique product identifiers do not exist. Does this mean I could include this field and submit multiple products with the same [id] and omit the [item_group_id] field, or just that I would be able to submit multiple products with the same [brand] and [mpn]? If this is the case, this solution would be by far the easiest and most accurate setup.

Looking forward to your feedback and I again appreciate any guidance you could give!

Thanks,

Alex
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
Hi Alex,

Great question and thanks for your patience while I checked our resources here!

The product ID in the smart pixel (remarketing code) needs to match the product ID from your Merchant Center feed. The product ID can be arbitrary, it doesn't need to be the UPI number. As long as it matches the product ID from Merchant Center and your feed, it will work.

However, the product ID can also match the Item Group ID, if you have them. I wasn't sure if you were referring to Item Group ID when you mentioned Group ID but if so, that is indeed doable!

Finally, if you cannot get those 2 ID's to match, you can add a custom attribute (c:drid) in your Merchant Center feed. Details can be found in the Custom Tracking Tab.

In summary, we will match Product ID to either the Product ID, Item Group ID, or DSmiley Very HappyRID from the Merchant Center feed.

Please keep in mind that once you set this up and submit everything, the web site can go under review for up to one week. That is the standard turnaround time for all dynamic remarketing campaign site reviews, so don't worry if it doesn't get up and running immediately.

I hope that answers your question and good luck with your campaigns!

Best,

Kristin
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee
That smiley face should be a custom attribute, c:drid. Sorry about that, it automatically turned into a happy face!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Kristin,

Thank you VERY much for the help on this, I've been trying to get that answer for a while now. Sorry for the mishap in the first comment about using Group ID, I did indeed mean Item Group ID. I will send the product ID as is to the smart pixel as it should match with the Item Group ID's.

Thank you again!

Alex

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Remember to include namespace declarations for the c:drid custom attribute to work.

rss version ="2.0" xmlns:g="http://base.google.com/ns/1.0" xmlns:c="http://base.google.com/cns/1.0"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is this solution still valid? If so it aligns more with how Facebook is also doing their product feeds and I'm attempting to implement both my Google & Facebook on-site tracking to be as similar as possible.

My product has 3 variations (in brackets product ID)

• Tshirt 1 - small (tshirt1_s)
  • Tshirt 1 - medium (tshirt1_m)
  • Tshirt 1 - large (tshirt1_lg)

Which in my feed are linked via Item Group ID of "tshirt1"

So you are saying on my page, instead of this dynamic remarketing code:

google_tag_params.ecomm_pagetype = 'product';
google_tag_params.ecomm_totalvalue = [22.00,22.00,22.00];
google_tag_params.ecomm_prodid = ['tshirt1_s', 'tshirt1_m', 'tshirt1_lg'];

I could track via Item Group ID:

google_tag_params.ecomm_pagetype = 'product';
google_tag_params.ecomm_totalvalue = [22.00];
google_tag_params.ecomm_prodid = ['tshirt1'];

Can you confirm this method is infact still valid, as it's been a couple years.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I would love confirmation on this too. Can someone verify @Jordan L’s question? Looks like the docs say it’s OK though:

I see here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3103357 under "Retail"

> ecomm_prodid* - matches the feed attributes id, item_group_id, or display_ads_id

But it’s not mentioned in the top google result for ecomm_prodid: https://developers.google.com/adwords-remarketing-tag/parameters#retail-sites