2.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Dynamic Keyword Insertion - Match Types and Punctuation

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

I am creating my first Ad Group with dynamic keyword insertion. Should I include apostrophes in my keywords where I want them to appear in the ad text (example: Men's Shoes)?

Also, does it make a difference, in terms of puctuation, if I use phrase match vs. exact match?

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Dynamic Keyword Insertion - Match Types and Punctuation

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Fnippy,

Short answer is No, leave the punctuation out.  There are only a couple of punctuation symbols that are available for keywords. 

Please take a look at this page:  How to build the best keyword list, specifically, the part titled 'Keep in mind'.

Phrase and Exact are the best route for DKI ads as you can have a better sense of what the user is actually searching for to ensure that your ads will make sense to the user and will remain relevant.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi fnippy,

Tom, I'm afraid I'll have to take issue with you on this one. Quoted from the page from your link:

Example

If you sell men's athletic footwear, you might start off with some basic categories that customers would use, like "men's sports shoes." You can also add "men's sneakers," or "men's tennis shoes," if you find out these are commonly used terms for your products. Expand your list further by including your brand and product names.

Clearly the apostrophe can be used. The page uses the same example.

Here's the thing about DKI, it shows the keyword on which you bid (that triggered the impression) exactly the way you enter it, except for capitalization (which is controlled anther way. So, if you want the copy to read "Men's tennis shoes", then your keyword should be "Men's tennis shoes". As broad match (and I would recommend using BMM here), a query of "mens tennis shoes" will trigger your keyword.

And, yes, it is best practice to use DKI only with phrase and exact match. In most cases, search will ignore the apostrophe. A query of "mens shoes" is nearly the same as a query of "men's shoes". The same holds true in matching keywords.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Fnippy,

Short answer is No, leave the punctuation out.  There are only a couple of punctuation symbols that are available for keywords. 

Please take a look at this page:  How to build the best keyword list, specifically, the part titled 'Keep in mind'.

Phrase and Exact are the best route for DKI ads as you can have a better sense of what the user is actually searching for to ensure that your ads will make sense to the user and will remain relevant.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you. I may have to rethink some of my keywords. Even if the user doesn't include the apostrophe in the search (and perhaps wouldn't know better), I think the ad might look it had a typo in some cases.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi fnippy,

Tom, I'm afraid I'll have to take issue with you on this one. Quoted from the page from your link:

Example

If you sell men's athletic footwear, you might start off with some basic categories that customers would use, like "men's sports shoes." You can also add "men's sneakers," or "men's tennis shoes," if you find out these are commonly used terms for your products. Expand your list further by including your brand and product names.

Clearly the apostrophe can be used. The page uses the same example.

Here's the thing about DKI, it shows the keyword on which you bid (that triggered the impression) exactly the way you enter it, except for capitalization (which is controlled anther way. So, if you want the copy to read "Men's tennis shoes", then your keyword should be "Men's tennis shoes". As broad match (and I would recommend using BMM here), a query of "mens tennis shoes" will trigger your keyword.

And, yes, it is best practice to use DKI only with phrase and exact match. In most cases, search will ignore the apostrophe. A query of "mens shoes" is nearly the same as a query of "men's shoes". The same holds true in matching keywords.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hey Pete,

Please take issue whenever you'd like. Smiley Happy

Wrongly, I didn't address the apostrophe directly as I should have.  I happened to be focused on "punctuation" as a whole for some reason.

I'm glad you chimed in and cleared things up!

-Tom

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks to both of you. My ads are up and running and I have my fingers crossed.