2.9K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Dynamic Ad funneling to automatically chosen product page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, hopefully the title isn't too confusing.

I'm setting up an AdWords campaign for a company who has 10's of thousands of products (printer ink and toner) with lots of variations of product like colour. Is there a way I can set up an AdGroup for subsection of the products (ink brands) and have the Ads themselves dynamically select the right landing page depending on the search keywords?

i.e. customer searches for "cheap HP 301XL colour Ink" and the advert that's served automatically links to the correct page.

Otherwise I'll have to set up ads for all product pages or link them to the catalogue view which I don't really want. I want the customer to go right through to the product page.

Thanks in advance

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Stephen B,

You might look into a product listing campaign. You'll need a Google Merchant Account and a feed listing your products. You can break the campaign down into AdGroups by product category and other criteria.

BEst of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Pete is right! A shopping campaign could be a good fit here.

If you are only looking to use search however, a quicker way of getting this done would be to have the client send you an export of the site product data so you have every product name and product page link in a spreadsheet. From there, edit the spreadsheet to create an ad group for each product or group them as you like using product data (keep in mind you have a limit of 20k ad groups per campaign). 

You can use DKI ad headlines to save a lot of time. Copy the product names into a column for keywords as phrase match or exact match. You can even change them from text strings to broad modified match by inserting a space at the beginning, then replacing all spaces with +_ (_ being a space). 

With a few simple excel formula, this technique will cut your setup time to just a few hours. You can even create a formula to create all of the values for you, or use a macro. 

Good luck!