AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Dynamic Ad by keyword or location?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Good afternoon everyone,

I'm looking for a bit of guidance for the following advert which I wish to run.

Hog Roast in Nottinghamshire 

Unique Hog Roast Catering Service

Guaranteed to be remembered.
mydomain.com/Nottinghamshire

What I would like to do, is have the advert dynamically re-write itself to cover other counties where the service is provided, either by the location of the person conducting the search, or by the person searching for the term in that area. i.e.

1. Someone searching for Hog Roast who is searching from Lincolnshire then is presented with

Hog Roast in Lincolnshire 

mydomain.com/Lincolnshire

2. Someone searching from London who wants to find hog roasts in Derbyshire so they are presented with 

Hog Roast in Derbyshire 

mydomain.com/Derbyshire

What is the best way for me to set this up? I've got totally confused between the keyword and location settings. Please explain this to me as simply as possible. Smiley Frustrated

Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Dynamic Ad by keyword or location?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi J0hn78, funnily enough, I have a client with a similar issue.  There's really two ways to do this:

1. Target various Campaigns at the counties, so you'd have one for Notts, one for Kent, etc.  Then obviously all your Ads within those Campaigns would have appropriate Headlines, e.g. Hog Roast in Nottinghamshire, Hog Roast in Kent, etc.
  2. Target the UK as a whole, then use location based Keywords within multiple Ad Groups.  So you'd have just one Campaign, and have an Ad Group for each county where the Keywords within those groups include location words, e.g. an Ad Group for Notts would contain Keywords like "hog roast nottinghamshire".  These Ad Groups of course would have appropriate Headlined Ads.

There are pros and cons to each approach.  The first approach allows you to have wider search terms (you can just use "hog roast" without a county name), but is probably less accurate (Location Targeting in the UK can be awful, Adwords thought I was in Lincoln the other day and I live up in North Yorkshire) so your Ads may be shown to people outside of your area.  The second approach is more accurate - you'll know exactly what people are looking for - but could be quite limited in scope as you need to have quite precise Keywords - you're relying upon the search user typing in the county name, which not all will do.  It's also a bigger set-up and harder to manage.

In truth I'd want to try both approaches and see what worked the best.

As an aside, if those are your actual Ads, they could do with a little spit and polish...  Try adding a stronger Call to Action and make them "pop" a bit more.  Don't forget about DKI (Dynamic Keyword Insertion).

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Dynamic Ad by keyword or location?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi J0hn78, funnily enough, I have a client with a similar issue.  There's really two ways to do this:

1. Target various Campaigns at the counties, so you'd have one for Notts, one for Kent, etc.  Then obviously all your Ads within those Campaigns would have appropriate Headlines, e.g. Hog Roast in Nottinghamshire, Hog Roast in Kent, etc.
  2. Target the UK as a whole, then use location based Keywords within multiple Ad Groups.  So you'd have just one Campaign, and have an Ad Group for each county where the Keywords within those groups include location words, e.g. an Ad Group for Notts would contain Keywords like "hog roast nottinghamshire".  These Ad Groups of course would have appropriate Headlined Ads.

There are pros and cons to each approach.  The first approach allows you to have wider search terms (you can just use "hog roast" without a county name), but is probably less accurate (Location Targeting in the UK can be awful, Adwords thought I was in Lincoln the other day and I live up in North Yorkshire) so your Ads may be shown to people outside of your area.  The second approach is more accurate - you'll know exactly what people are looking for - but could be quite limited in scope as you need to have quite precise Keywords - you're relying upon the search user typing in the county name, which not all will do.  It's also a bigger set-up and harder to manage.

In truth I'd want to try both approaches and see what worked the best.

As an aside, if those are your actual Ads, they could do with a little spit and polish...  Try adding a stronger Call to Action and make them "pop" a bit more.  Don't forget about DKI (Dynamic Keyword Insertion).

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits