2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Duplication on Phrase Match vs Exact / Broad

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am looking for a "best practice" answer or even a google policy i have missed - One of my clients is a HVAC company where we are setting the campaign up for residential AC repair services.

In setting up the campaign we currently have a phrase match on "ac repair" along with other variations also phrased matched. But google keyword suggestion tool recommends "ac repair service" be added. Now for me this brings up a question - Since Phrase match will allow for word(s) before and after the "phrased" keywords, should the existing phrase match be appropriate or should we also add "ac repair services" as a phrase/exact match within the ad group? in order for someone to search for "ac repair services" the existing phrase matched keywords would be appropriate and trigger the ad.

It seems to me that it is unecessary duplication of the keyword and ultimately 1 is going to have higher relevance/quality score over the other anyways? What is others experience in this form of duplication and what is best practice?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Tiffany (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Duplication on Phrase Match vs Exact / Broad

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Good morning.

You're correct in one sense that the shorter phrase is also appropriate for traffic on the longer phrase. If the longer phrase isn't available in your campaign, then the shorter phrase can be matched to those searches.

However,, it's a "best practice" to identify, as closely as possible, the precise search terms that your customers might use and to include those in your campaign. That allows you to offer ads that are a more precise match to what the user types into the search engine, increasing the possibility that they will click on your ad. 

Offering both gives you an optimization boost--you may find that the shorter "ac repair" phrase doesn't convert (produce sales) or converts only rarely, while the much more precise "ac repair service" phrase converts a higher percentage of the time. Still another very good reason to be able to zero-in on and optimize for traffic for the longer phrase.

It's also the case that different keywords cost you a different amount for a click. Offering both the "ac repair" and "ac repair service" keywords means that some of your clicks will be cheaper than others, always a good thing. 

Just my $0.02. Woman Happy

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Theresa,

Please tell me if we change the "ac repair" and "ac repair service"  to +ac +repair and +ac +repair +service i.e if we use the broad  modifier match option for the mentioned keywords then which of the keyword will show my ads for the customer search ac repair & servicing. will the system identify +ac +repair  more closer or +ac +repair +service

I would like to share a problem. When i diagnose my keyword +ibibo discount codes I often get the message that "This keyword is triggering ads from another ad group with a similar keyword: ibibo promo code" & when i diagnose ibibo promo code the message appears as "This keyword is triggering ads from another ad group with a similar keyword: discount code +ibibo"

Now under this senario please suggest me what will be the best practise to follow & avoid this situation?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

One thing I'd suggest is looking at the matched search query for that keyword and see if "service" or "services" has been used (i.e. see if your ad is indeed triggered by the inclusion of "services" already).

Another option is to use a phrase match, and include the broad match analyser (+) on "services" which would reduce the competition between both phrases.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I found this extremely helpful on explaining how it works. Make sure you expand all of the sections. I printed all of it for reference. 

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=66292

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni

I'm sorry, Rahul_S, but there's simply not a single answer to that question. It depends on a lot of factors.

The short answer is that it depends on which keyword/ad combination has the highest ad rank. In a case where two keywords pretty much "match" a search query the same, the ad with the highest rank (that is, the ad+keyword with the highest score) will be served.

I don't really think overusing broad match or modified broad match is the answer. If it were me, I'd start by using phrase and exact variations of the keywords I thought most closely matched what I was selling.

In your original example, phrase match for "ac repair" it's short and will probably pull a lot of traffic. A lot of that traffic is likely to be inappropriate for your purposes, so you'll want to keep an eye on your search query report and block unwanted searches as much as you can find them. I'd still use the phrase, though, at least I'd test using it, because a lot of people are going to be searching this "short and lazy" way and you might get business from the traffic.

The phrase "ac repair service" is going to have less volume but the people using is are much more likely to be looking for precisely the services you offer. 

That's why I'd agree that at least testing both options in your campaign is the best strategy.

As far as your discount code example goes, I'd need to know more before I could answer any questions. What match type are these keywords? It looks this way:

+ibibo discount codes - this looks like a partial modified broad match. You're requiring the word 'ibibo' in the search query, but not the other words, leaving them open to be matched much more widely.

ibibo promo code  - is this one broad match entirely?  

discount code +ibibo" - This is essentially the same as the first example. Only the word 'ibibo' is required.

With broad match and modified broad match, the order the words are in doesn't matter.

In short, assuming that the second one is broad match, these three keywords are essentially almost identical.

Hope that helps!

Theresa
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Theresa,

Thank you for the reply to my initial post. With regards to unwanted traffic and use of the search query report - We use campaign level negative keywords heavily - for example: in using "ac repair" we have at the campaign level ( -car - truck - suv - ford -nissan etc. etc. etc.) in order to narrow the acceptable words before/after the phrase match. We also have negative terms related around employment.

Now with regards to using both as you have suggested - That does make sense and I have considered that, but this ad group has multiple variations of that keyword set such as (ac repair service, ac repair company, ac repair companies, ac repair provider, etc. etc. etc.) - It has been my understand for a while that when you have a ad group (lets say 10 keywords) and the CTR is solid on 2 or 3 of them, but the others have poor performance, the Quality Score of the ENTIRE group is affected, thus increasing the bid cost for all. --- If this is correct, then I am concerned that leaving multiple variations of "ac repair" + keyword, is kinda forcing me to have several keywords that are relevant but poor performers because the smaller phrase "ac repair" is acting as a catch all. Thus it seems I'm going to hurt my QS this way? Am I wrong here?

As an alternative - Would it be right/wrong or going overboard to creat a seperate ad group for each variation? ( ADGROUP#1 "ac repair" , ADGROUP#2 "ac repair service", ADGROUP#3 "ac repair company" etc etc.) How would this method appear in your thoughts?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 8
Top Contributor Alumni

.... If this is correct, then I am concerned that leaving multiple variations of "ac repair" + keyword, is kinda forcing me to have several keywords that are relevant but poor performers because the smaller phrase "ac repair" is acting as a catch all. 

There's no reason you have to have the shorter "catch-all" keyword "ac repair" in the same Ad Group with the longer phrases. Split it out into a separate Ad Group. 

There's not really an Ad Group level "quality score" in the way you're thinking--at least, not a hard and fast one. What having a high-volume, lower performance keyword in an Ad Group really does is to lower the CTR for your ads, which is not good and another good reason to serve that kind of keyword in a separate Ad Group.

I'm not sure, though, that I'd go so far as to set up a separate Ad Group for every, single keyword. If you're seeing enough traffic on individual words to justify the work of creating and managing them separately, then you may want to split those high-traffic keywords out separately. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't do that, but that's just me. Others might disagree.

Theresa
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*