2.6K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Duplication of Exact match and Phrase Match

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is it best practice to have both an exact match keyword and a phrase match keyword of the same keyword?

"lawn care service"

lawn care service

In the above example, there was a marked difference of course in QS, estimated search and cost. I do not want to miss out on potential traffic of those that may add a name or geo location to the front/rear of the search term so what has been your practice in your campaigns?

Choose one over the other or utilize both?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Duplication of Exact match and Phrase Match

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey DMSInc,

I like to utilize all match types, as you mentioned, these will have different QSs, CPCs, ROI, etc. You can then measure performance and determine which match types perform the best and move forward with those. Continue to monitor your search query reports and add negative keywords as needed.

I even like to separate my adgroups by match type or even performance. For example, have an ad group setup for exact match keywords and another that is a bit broader. Or a one campaign that focuses on direct conversions and another that focuses on keywords that generate assisted conversions.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

BI

Re: Duplication of Exact match and Phrase Match

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello DMSInc; welcome;

We have had many discussions on the community on that. In each,  different approach suggested . You'll find many interesting discussions, each reflecting different opinions. (Especially on broad match and modified broad match).

I would suggest to run an advanced search on the topic, using the advanced search tool (on the right side of the search box).

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’