AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Duplicate Keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm new to Adwords and just set up my first campaign with about 7 different adgroups with about 20-60 keywords per adgroup. My concern now is that I've duplicated keywords within an ad group and don't know how that will affect the effectiveness as well as what happens if I duplicate keywords by accident between two different ad groups. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Margaret

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author margaretedits
September 2015

Re: Duplicate Keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Margaret,

Even though you are new to AdWords, I think you should try downloading AdWords Editor. It has a tool that de-dups all your ad groups. You can get it here: http://www.google.com/intl/en/adwordseditor/

Once you download it, run it like any other program. It will ask you for your AdWords login. There are different menus at the top. Click on "Tools" and then select "find duplicate keywords." It will highlight the duplicates for you and then you can delete them.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

You also may want to cut back on your keywords per ad group.  Generally speaking you shouldn't have more than 25 keywords per ad group.  (Adwords help lists 10-35 as best practice)

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Margaret, probably the easiest way for you - as a beginner with Adwords - would be to go to your account, click on the Campaign in question then click on the Keywords tab.  This'll show you all the keywords in all the Ad Groups in the campaign in one list.  You should then be able to sort the list by keyword (click on the column heading) and this in turn should make it easy to scroll through and find any duplicates.

There's not really any circumstance in which you would have exact duplicates (as opposed to duplicates only by words, not match type) in multiple Ad Groups in the same campaign.

Does this help?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Margaret,

Even though you are new to AdWords, I think you should try downloading AdWords Editor. It has a tool that de-dups all your ad groups. You can get it here: http://www.google.com/intl/en/adwordseditor/

Once you download it, run it like any other program. It will ask you for your AdWords login. There are different menus at the top. Click on "Tools" and then select "find duplicate keywords." It will highlight the duplicates for you and then you can delete them.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

You also may want to cut back on your keywords per ad group.  Generally speaking you shouldn't have more than 25 keywords per ad group.  (Adwords help lists 10-35 as best practice)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It seems like I am always using 10 or less too.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

My goal is to always has as few words as possible in my ad groups. The more specific the ad copy, the greater the performance potential. I have ad groups with just one word in some situations, some have 5 or ten 

massive shoes - would be a single word in an adgroup

red shoes size 6

red shows size 7

red shows size 8  - would all be together in an ad group with ad copy that speaks to the impression. 

For dupes, you can search for 'text tools' that will doa lot of the things that clean up your keyword lists. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for all of the helpful responses!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, I'm curious why you believe that no more than 25 keywords per adgroup is best? Say I have an 4 adgroups containing a total of 400 keywords and representing 4 services. Each keyword has been assigned the appropriate landing page for the service it's related to, running dynamic text ads or promo ad's that can be applied to all 4 services. Each keyword has been researched thru google's keyword planner and is reporting monthly searches 

The main advantage to 1 or 4 adgroups is a significant time saving.

Especially if you are making adjustments throughout the course of 1 day. What is the advantage of creating 16 adgroups of 25 keywords over 4 adgroups containing 100?

So if you have 100 keywords all producing click throughs why would I remove 75%? 

I understand that google recommends 5-20 and using broad match. I can tell you if we switched our campaigns to 20 broad match keywords it would bomb like a B-52. Tks

Duplicate Keywords

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

100 keywords is just too many!  If you are saying pretty much the same thing, there just is no need for that many terms.  If they are saying different things, then you want a different ad group with different ad copy.