1.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Duplicate Keywords

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

There are three issues that I have noticed since the Enhanced Campaign was enforced about keywords on Search Network Only campaigns. Here they are:

1. If you use <sunglasses for men> for example as keyword with three different match type [sunglasses for men] (exact match) - "sunglasses for men" (phrase match)- sunglasses for men (Broad match). Google stat says, "sunglasses for men" (phrase) is not showing because sunglasses for men (broad match) is triggering the ads. In legacy campaign,  this wasn't an issue.

2. Keywords duplication is not an issue before if you are using the same keywords but targeted to different devices only. Now Google stat says, sunglasses for men (broad match) is triggering other ads from another device.

3. Before, if you are using the same keywords but targeted to different geographic location, your ads and kewyords are working fine. But on enhanced, it turns out to be a duplicate keyword issue, where I consider it unusual because they are targeted to different countries.

Are these issues common or I am just the one experiencing  it? I am wondering if the adwords status reports are accurate or not. 

Re: Duplicate Keywords

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Bedz
For your first question, i think you are targeting all the matches in a single ad group. If yes then i recommend that you target different matches in different ad groups and add proper negative keywords to them.
Just to make it more clear, make 3 ad groups
#1 Sunglasses for Men(Exact Match)
+[sunglasses for men]
No negative here

#2 Sunglasses for Men(Phrase Match)
+"sunglasses for men"
-[sunglasses for men]

#3 Sunglasses for Men(Broad Match)
+sunglasses for men
-"sunglasses for men"

This will resolve the triggering issue.
For the second question:- I think you were targeting tablets and mobile devices in separate campaigns earlier, but now in enhanced campaigns tablets will not be excluded from the campaigns, they would run along with desktop and laptops and we don't have option to exclude them, so i suggest that you pause the campaign which is targeting to tablets. For mobile you have the option the exclude it from the campaign but you can't run mobile only campaign now. So i suggest that you pause mobile campaign as well and target all three devices from a single campaign.

Third question :- It looks like unusual that you are targeting to different countries and still they are showing duplicate keyword issue. Have you checked the Ad Preview Tool to check what reason it is showing for these keywords.

Hope this Help!

Abhishek

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

My feedback :

1) I do not have this problem if I bid differently by match type, meaning the most for the exact, less for phrase and even less for BMM or simple broad,thhile they are in the same ad group. One keyword with all match types shows the same QS for all match types and by bidding differently the ad rank from the phrase match becomes higher than that of the broad match.

2) I have never encountered this problem with simple broad keywords "Now Google stat says, sunglasses for men (broad match) is triggering other ads from another device." . Could you upload a print-screen with the error message or warning ?

3) This is not supposed to happen, what tool is indicating those as duplicated, the AdWords Editor ?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Screen Shot 2014-02-20 at 4.21.35 PM.png

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
That is the example of the issues I noticed. However, regarding the issue number 2. It suddenly changed. Last time, it was the keywords on desktop which are not showing while the same keywords on mobile are showing. Now it becomes the opposite. I am wondering now if adwords interface is buggy. It seems to me that it is not showing accurate report.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Bedz! I suggest that you read about enhanced campaign before working out further.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2909484?hl=en
http://adwords.blogspot.in/2013/02/introducing-enhanced-campaigns.html

Abhishek

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

That is the example of the issues I noticed. However, regarding the issue number 2. It suddenly changed. Last time, it was the keywords on desktop which are not showing while the same keywords on mobile are showing. Now it becomes the opposite. I am wondering now if adwords interface is buggy. It seems to me that it is not showing accurate report. 

Screen Shot 2014-02-20 at 4.21.35 PM.png

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

What AdWords report did you download to show those statuses from column D with issue 1, issue 2, issue 3 ? I don't know from where in my account I can get the same type of diagnosis.

I am not sure if those notifications come from the AdWords interface or from another 3rd party appplication interfacing with adwords.

Badged Google Partner
# 9
Badged Google Partner
Yes... What does the ad preview tool vs. KW diagnosis bubble say?

This has always been a bit screwy, depending on how you are looking at what, and from which level of the account.
Tom

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I checked it just now using the preview tool and have confirmed that they are showing the different thing. The last time they were showing the same thing. For example, in KW diagnosis, it shows there that the "keyword targeted to Thailand" is triggering ([exact match keyword]) US keyword - US Targeted... And then I tried again the second time and got a new report, "keyword targeted to Thailand" is triggering ([keyword exact match]) US Keyword targeted for Mobile.