1.9K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Duplicate Keywords.

N/A
# 1
N/A

Google advises against duplicate keywords in an account: " it's a good practice to avoid having duplicate keywords in your account as Google shows only one ad per advertiser on a particular keyword."

Is this accurate?  It would mean that if I use the same keywords in a Display Network Adgroup as in a Search Network Adgroup within the same account, that only one of those Ads will be shown.  ...or do they really mean per advertiser, per network? 

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author
September 2015

Re: Duplicate Keywords.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
This is accurate, depending on your interpretation. In the Search Network, Google will only show one ad per account on any single SERP. That does not mean they will always show the same ad on every SERP.

On the Display Network, you can see more than one of your ads on DN pages.

If you have a "hybrid" campaign with both Search and Display (which is not recommended by anyone), your keywords can be used for either network. If you have image ads, they will only show on the DN. Text ads can show on either network.

Duplicate keywords with the same geo-targeting and the same network are discouraged. Duplicate keywords with different geo-targeting or on different networks do not cause a conflict.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've spoken to Google about this before. If you have the same keyword in two different ad groups in your account, either could show and the Google decides during the auction. They have stated that if this happens, it may severely impair your ad from showing or lower its Adrank because the system can sort of "confuse" itself deciding which ad to pull. They also decide which ad to show based on the match type, Quality Score and bid. If you have an exact match in one ad group with a quality score of 4, and a broad match of the same keyword in a different ad group with a quality score of 6, but the searcher searched for your exact match keyword, Google will show the exact match. Having duplicates can cause ad serving issues as evidenced by their answer, so best not make sure you don't have duplicates. If you have duplicates but in different ad groups, like a separate ad group for broad match, make sure you add the exact match as a negative for that group..

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hey Greg A,

I'm not sure this is exactly true/ The way I understand this works is if all match types have the same QS, the most restrictive match type will get the impression. If all match types are in the same ad group, all will have the same QS as the exact match. If they are in different ad groups, they could have different QS and ad rank.

It really still depends on the ad rank which match type gets the impression. If your phrase match has a higher ad rank than exact match, the phrase match gets the impression. This is why, if you separate ad groups or campaigns by match type, you need to include negative keywords for the more restrictive match types in other ad groups.

Google also assumes the exact match type CPC bid will be higher than for phrase or broad match, giving it a higher ad rank if it is in the ad group with the phrase and/or broad match group.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords