AdWords
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Duplicate Keywords, Separate Campaigns, 1 Active - Problem?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Is there any benefit to deleting keywords from a paused campaign that are also found in an active campaign? I'm wondering if the paused keywords can, in any way, influence the price or QS for the same keywords found in an new, active campaign/adgroup.

For example, let's say I have not-so-relevant ads in a paused adgroup, but in a new adgroup my ads have language that is more tied to the keywords that have been pulled from the paused adgroup. If I keep the paused adgroup paused instead of deleting it, can this prevent my new (duplicate) keywords from receiving a higher quality score by making the duplicate keywords match the QS of the paused ones?

I'm just wondering if there is anything I should know regarding paused adgroups or campagins and their effect, if any, on new, active adgroups/campagins that contain the same keywords as the paused ones.

Thanks in advance!

2 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alex K
September 2015

Re: Duplicate Keywords, Separate Campaigns, 1 Active - Problem?

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi,

No pause campaign will not affect your running/active campaign.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Alex,

Your keywords quality score depends on various factors, for more information follow the below link:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454010?hl=en-GB
while one of those factors is your account past performance (Past CTR of all your ads, Keywords etc.) but it is not affected by any paused campaign, adgroup or keyword.

As you mentioned you have paused one adgroup and created new with theme packed keywords and ads. this is the right way to optimize your account.

Hope this helps

Regards,
Rahul Goel

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 14
Top Contributor

Alex;

Google does not disclose the formula/ algorithm it uses to calculate a QS for a newly added KW. What we know is that it is based on other advertisers' QS for the KW, as well as your past account performances.

We do know that once your campaign is active the major / predominant component of QS as the CTR.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Alex;

Eric and I replied in this discussion:

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/Do-Paused-Keywords-Affect-the-Mar...

QS is only calculated for active KWs. During the auction the keyword with the highest ad-rank will trigger an active ad. Paused ads are checked for compliance with the Policy and are in a "stand-by", should you wish to activate them.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi,

No pause campaign will not affect your running/active campaign.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Alex,

Your keywords quality score depends on various factors, for more information follow the below link:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454010?hl=en-GB
while one of those factors is your account past performance (Past CTR of all your ads, Keywords etc.) but it is not affected by any paused campaign, adgroup or keyword.

As you mentioned you have paused one adgroup and created new with theme packed keywords and ads. this is the right way to optimize your account.

Hope this helps

Regards,
Rahul Goel

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Moshe;
I'm aware of what you have and have not replied to, especially when I'm the one who posted the question.

This question I ask is different from the previous question. For example, I can create a blank Campaign, pause it and then insert keywords and the keywords will have a QS even though they are part of a paused campaign and are not entering any auction. This is the heart of this follow up question.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Nisal and Rahul, thank you for your replies.

From my understanding, if I don't have much of a track record on a KW, then when I create a new adgroup and insert a keyword, I'm given a QS based on the history of the KW plus the relevancy of the KW to my ads.

SO, if I have a paused adgroup with KW that have been given lower scores due to low relevancy, but then create a new adgroup with better relevancy and the same keywords, I would expect to get a slightly higher QS on the new (duplicate) keywords. But would the paused KWs somehow cause the new QS to match the old QS?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Is it possible for two duplicate KWs (one paused, one active) to have DIFFERENT Quality Scores?

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
As per my knowledge when u create a new keywords in a new adgroup QS only limited to that adgroup. While time pass your QS may differ from factors like CTR etc. however separate paused campaign may not affect your keyword QS

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
So are you saying it is possible for two duplicate KWs (one paused, one active) to have DIFFERENT Quality Scores at the same time?

Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star
Yes. Identical keywords will compete each other in different adgroups. And better performing keyword will win the auction.