Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Doubt about location targeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone.

There is one thing about location targeting that has been bothering me since the time I started working on AdWords. We have a client who is into the real estate business. They buy land, develop it, build luxury villas & apartments and sell them. Their projects are limited to just one state in India. So, currently, what we are doing is: we have identified prime cities from where we could get the leads & by choosing the 'People in my targeted location' setting have setup the campaigns.

Now, there is one issue I face when adding keywords. I'm having to include the word 'goa', the name of the state in which the real estate properties are located in order to be able to get relevant traffic. Occasionally, I do see irrelevant, broad & generic search terms.

So, my question is: What if I try a different approach? How about choosing the default location targeting option, which is: 'People in, searching for or who show interest in my targeted location'? I wonder if it might cost me too much?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anish K
November 2015

Re: Doubt about location targeting

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Anish, how are things?

I'd say that we can't guarantee that selecting the default location target will bring you best results, but one thing I can say for sure:

When you try to use a different option/feature or anything you haven't used yet on Adwords for a while now, the most important thing to me is to remember that this new thing I'm about to use will need some improvement and optimization.

The single fact that you will select the default targeting option will probably not work or give you the expected results right from the start, but if you keep testing and optimizing, you'll probably be able to get results further on.

Selecting the default location option will probably increase the volume of irrelevant clicks, that's when you need to keep looking at the Search Terms report, keep adding negative keywords, play with the different keyword match types and all of those things. It's important to remember that on Adwords nothing works alone, it's a bunch of small things that you play it's part for the whole.

So to sum this up: Select the default option and plan yourself to test, optimize and try to achieve your goals Smiley Happy

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Leandro Martinez

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anish K
November 2015

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Anish, how are things?

I'd say that we can't guarantee that selecting the default location target will bring you best results, but one thing I can say for sure:

When you try to use a different option/feature or anything you haven't used yet on Adwords for a while now, the most important thing to me is to remember that this new thing I'm about to use will need some improvement and optimization.

The single fact that you will select the default targeting option will probably not work or give you the expected results right from the start, but if you keep testing and optimizing, you'll probably be able to get results further on.

Selecting the default location option will probably increase the volume of irrelevant clicks, that's when you need to keep looking at the Search Terms report, keep adding negative keywords, play with the different keyword match types and all of those things. It's important to remember that on Adwords nothing works alone, it's a bunch of small things that you play it's part for the whole.

So to sum this up: Select the default option and plan yourself to test, optimize and try to achieve your goals Smiley Happy

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Leandro Martinez

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Oh thank you so much Leandro. You're great Smiley Happy

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Anish,

I would like to suggest that if you are using the location in your keywords then you may opt the default(recommended) setting that is "People in, searching for or who show interest in my targeted location". And then use the strategies for further optimization as mentioned by Leandro

Better will be create a separate campaign with the keyword including location and one campaign for keywords without including the location.
Target different location setting for each campaign and then analyse the performance for both.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’