3.9K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Don't understand Display Network Targeting

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I have setup my first "Display Network Only" ad campaign - It is running, but I don't understand all of the targeting.

So my ad still get triggered by "Keywords" but I have also set option for "topics" and "interests & remarketing".

Now if I understand, my display ad will only show on websites that meet the "Topics" that I have selected and or the "Interests & remarketing" selections that I have also selected and will only be triggered with the keywords I have supplied for the campaign.

Is this correct? If not can someone please explain further?

Also I don't understand the "Placement" tab and how it works? Can someone please explain this also?

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user
Highlighted
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David C
September 2015

Re: Don't understand Display Network Targeting

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Let me see if I can unravel this for you....

If you use keywords, Google will always look for sites whose content matches those.

you can then add further targeting - such as interests, topics, placements, gender, age and your remarketing audiences.

when you add these you have an option to target and bid or bid only. If you choose target and bid, then Google will serve your ad ONLY if your keywords match AND the (for example) gender matches. So if you are targeting women, then the keyword would have to trigger the ad, but so would the gender.....

If you choose to bid only, then Google will serve your ad if the searcher is a woman, but will serve to men if the keyword matches - because one or more of your other criteria are met.

The easiest way to see this is to look at the venn drawing alongside the selection. The shaded area marks the targeted group. Try playing with the target and bid and bid only options and see what happens....

Same with placements, lets say you have a particular site you know your potential clients are visiting and you want to make sure you run your ads there. You can ad the site as a placement. If you choose target and bid then your ads will only show on that site (which might be a little restrictive!). but if you set the bid only then the ad can appear on other sites as well... but now I hear you asking - so what's the point of that?

Good question...

Once you select these placements, you get the option to bid on them back in your account. So - you might decide to bid $1 a click on any general placement - but for placements on this particular site you decide you want to bid $5 because it's such a great match for you and your business, and you find that the ROI from that site is so much better. Without this option, you'd have to bid $5 across ALL placements - and you probably don't want to be doing that!

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
I should add something else... be careful with the target and bid option... otherwise you can end up with targeting only women, between 25-34, who are interested in dancing, when the keyword modern jive is in the page text, and only when they are on iloveelvis.com... and that might be three people.... once a week

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thank you that was very well explained.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I am very curious to know how Google or other search engines are able to determine if it is a woman or a man searching the keyword?
I am afraid if i select for my ad to run when a woman between the age of 30-35 searched my keyword because i do not understand how you can know who is searching?
Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
This is a very interesting question but there is some confusion built into it.

Remember that keywords work differently only search and display networks. With search the user types in their query and the system matches that query to the account keywords. With Display however, the keywords act as indicators to the system as to the kind of content that we would like our ads to appear around.

There is no direct link between the keyword and the search term because there is no search term.

With search we cannot select gender. However on display campaigns we can. There are a number of ways that Google can determine gender, some of which are more accurate than others.

For example, if the user is logged into their Gmail account then Google knows their gender because this is part of the personal profile.

When Google doesn't know the gender for certain, then they will essentially play the numbers. In the same way as we press advertising if you wanted to reach a female target you might choose to advertise in magazines such as Vogue or Cosmopolitan, so Google might show your ads on websites which have content more likely to appeal to female users. In the same way that there will be men reading Cosmopolitan, so too there will be overlap with gender targeting on the display network.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you very much, this certainly helps!!

Community Manager
# 8
Community Manager
This 2014 thread has been closed to new replies. 

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

This will improve the visibility of any new questions as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the AdWords Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.
Experts in the Topic
stickleback
Buzzb