AdWords
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Don't set a CPM offer in a CPC campaign.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My adwords editor keeps thoging me errors, in the adgroups.

"Your max CPM its too low, please upload your bid"

I selected CPC campaing and I thought a CPM offer weren't necesary in this cases

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Shanea K (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Don't set a CPM offer in a CPC campaign.

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Here's the situation. Internally, AdWords requires that every ad group have all three of Max CPC, Max CPM and Max CPA bid set. This is because, in the brave new world of flexible bidding, you can switch the ad group to a different bidding strategy at any time (directly or indirectly, by way of switching the campaign), and this new strategy would need the bids to be in place.

Each strategy only uses the bids applicable to it. Other bids just sit there, in case you ever switch to a different strategy that might use them. But nevertheless, they need to be present. That is why you cannot clear Max CPM bids, even though (at this time) your campaign uses CPC bidding.

Now, the online interface tries to be clever and only show bids that are currently applicable. But that is difficult for Editor. Imagine that you've edited Max CPC on an ad group, and then later switched the campaign to CPM bidding. What would happen to that bid change? Should Editor lock you out of touching it? All kinds of interesting problems arise.

So instead, Editor allows you to edit all bids at all times, whether or not they apply to the bidding strategy that happens to be in effect at the time.

Long story short: in a CPC campaign, just ignore CPM bids. They are harmless, they are not being used, but some non-zero value must be there on the off-chance you switch the campaign to CPM.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

Okay, this is very interesting. I had not previously noticed this CPM bid thing in AdWords Editor.

(I've never used CPM bidding & tend to just ignore it in all interfaces.)

I tested changing bids in an active search campaign, though, to lower the set CPM bid of $0.25 (I have no idea where the dollar figure came from) to $0.01 and the program wouldn't allow that. For whatever reason, if it fills in a default, you can't go below that?

(I ask purely for information.)

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
The behavior is new with support for flexible bidding. Before, you could not change bidding strategies in Editor, they were essentially set in stone when the campaign was downloaded. In that world, Editor could play the same game as the online interface - it only allowed editing bids that made sense for the current bidding strategy, and disabled all others.

As I explained, this approach doesn't work too well now that the user can change both bids and bidding strategies in Editor. It's difficult to try and impose dependencies on two things that can both vary freely.

About $0.25: yes, AdWords system imposes some minimum on bids, whether or not those bids are actually being used by the effective strategy at the moment (again, the idea is that the strategy can be changed at any time, and whenever it is, there should be a ready set of valid bids for it to use). Currently, the minimum is $0.01 for CPC and CPA bids, and $0.25 for CPM (USD, or a rough equivalent in other currencies).

Editor doesn't check for these minimums locally, because we don't want to hard-code them. They are subject to change at any time without notice, and for currencies other than USD they actually float with the exchange rate. So Editor just checks that the bid is greater than zero, but then you may get an error from the server if you try to post a bid smaller than the required minimum.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni

Thanks for explaining, AdWordsEng-Igor.  

I like to understand what's going on, even when it doesn't really have anything to do with me. Smiley Very Happy

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thaaanks!
You made my day Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the overview, helpful!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey, I have the same problem lately. But even though I set some CPM bid, I can't post my changes. I have an error that says: to use this bid strategy change the settings of your campaign. But I want to use Manual CPC. The campaing is Search Network Only. I have the newest version of AdWords Editor.

Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee

AdWords allows setting bid strategies at different levels: you can configure one for campaign, override it for an individual ad group, and further override that at individual keyword. However, not all of these combinations are valid - not all bid strategies are allowed to be overridden, and not all can be used as overrides. There's the whole matrix of which strategies are allowed with which other ones.

Editor doesn't enforce any of these rules locally: they are complicated, and have been known to change with time. It would let you set up any imaginable combination of bid strategies and any level, but then the server rejects invalid ones with an error at upload time.

In your particular case, you have a campaign using Enhanced CPC bid strategy, and are trying to override it with Manual CPC strategies at ad group level. This combination is not allowed.

If you want to switch the whole campaign to Manual CPC, then update the strategy at campaign level, and set ad group-level one to "Default" (this means "no override, use campaign-level one").