AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Does "average monthly searches" in Keyword Planner represent searches from unique users?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm wondering what the average monthly search estimate in Keyword Planner means. Is it the average of all the searches, including repeat searches by the same user? Is it the average of the number of unique users that searched a phrase? Please clarify if you know.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Does "average monthly searches" in Keyword Planner represent searches from unique user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Here is the exact statistical definition:
>>"Average monthly searches ("Avg. monthly searches"): The average number of times people have searched for the exact keyword based on the location and Search Network targeting that you've selected. By default, we average the number of searches for the term over a 12-month period.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Does "average monthly searches" in Keyword Planner represent searches from unique user

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello @Justina_G,

Following up on Moshe, it is the number of exact match searches, not users searching for the exact term. Thus, there could be repeat searches by a user. Its also based on historical data and does not necessarily preclude that it will continue to follow into the future. Google is assuming the trend will ring true into the future.

Let me know if that helps!

Nick