AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Does "&" translates into "AND" in AdWords Text Ads?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have encountered many times a situation where I have a keyword containing "AND", so I was curios if I could save on characters in my text ad using the symbol "&". The problem is I don't really know if Google translates AND into & ( or the other way around ). I hardly believe it does but I wanted to ask anyway. 

Regards.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Vane V
September 2015

Re: Does "&" translates into "AND" in AdWords

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello

& will not be translated into and . If you have 2 keywords 

[me and you] and [me & you] and you will try to see what the Ad Preview triggers for the search term me & you it will trigger the second keyword not the first. This means that if you want a higher ad text relevancy the ad text should include the "and" if the "and" is in the keyword or the & , if the & is in the keyword. This is my opinion, others can have a different opinion.

This is explained here ( expand the paragraph at the bottom) :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453980?hl=en

"  Using symbols with your keywords

You can use two symbols, ampersands (&) and accent marks (á), in your keywords. We'll consider keywords with these symbols as two different keywords, like sidewalk cafe and sidewalk café.

Here are some of the symbols that our system doesn't recognize:

........"

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Vane V,
Yes you can use "&" in place of "AND" to save on characters. No Google doesn't translate AND into & or & into AND.

Thanks

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Santosh,

Thanks for the answer. I know I am allowed to use it, but my question is will it count as the same keyword. For instance if I am bidding on a keyword "Tom and Jerry" and use "Tom & Jerry" in my Text Ad - will it affect my Quality Score in any way?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Vane V
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello

& will not be translated into and . If you have 2 keywords 

[me and you] and [me & you] and you will try to see what the Ad Preview triggers for the search term me & you it will trigger the second keyword not the first. This means that if you want a higher ad text relevancy the ad text should include the "and" if the "and" is in the keyword or the & , if the & is in the keyword. This is my opinion, others can have a different opinion.

This is explained here ( expand the paragraph at the bottom) :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453980?hl=en

"  Using symbols with your keywords

You can use two symbols, ampersands (&) and accent marks (á), in your keywords. We'll consider keywords with these symbols as two different keywords, like sidewalk cafe and sidewalk café.

Here are some of the symbols that our system doesn't recognize:

........"

Re: Does "&" translates into "AND&a

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Adrian, I presumed it would consider them as two different keywords and your answer ensured me that this is true Smiley Happy

Thumbs up!

Re: Does "&" translates into "AND&a

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Looking at the issue from a different angle: I would not include "and" or & within a keywords, or any other preposition
BMM should do the job.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Vane V,

Appearance of the keyword in your ad copy has little to do with the QS of the keyword in itself. It's all about the CTR. If the appearance of the keyword in the ad copy improves the CTR of the keyword, the QS for that keyword will go up.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pete, 

If what you say is true, then why is it that the QS always increases in just 1 hour when I move a low QS keyword in it's own ad group and put the keyword in the ad text and the display URL ? This is without gaining any impressions for the newly moved keyword.

Basically the parameter that changes is the "ad relevancy" , when the keyword has a low QS the ad relevancy is below average , and when the ad includes the words of the keyword , the ad relevancy jumps to average of above average.

Besides the CTR , google does also some "pre-gaining traffic" estimations based on the ad relevancy to the keyword text.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Hi Adrian,

When you move a keyword to a new ad group, the performance of the keyword across all advertisers has a bigger effect on the CTR than the performance within your own account. As it accrues impressions and CTR, the performance of that keyword in that ad group becomes more important.

How long does it take for the QS of the keyword in the new ad group to go back down to the QS before you moved it?

The question here seems to be whether he should have a separate ad group for the "&" and "and" versions. I'm suggesting it won't make much difference. That's not always the case. I just don't see an increase in CTR on this basis. Testing the two could prove otherwise.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

How long does it take for the QS of the keyword in the new ad group to go back down to the QS before you moved it?

It doesn't decrease back, usually a QS of 6/10 which also has "Ad relevancy = below average" , if it benefits from ads with the words of the keyword in the ad text and the URL , the Ad relevancy becomes and stays =average and the QS increases 1 or 2 points.

I tested this by asigning labels to keywords to see what the old QS was. Not even after a month the QS decreases. Some keywords went from 5/10 to 8/10 just by changing the ad text according to the words from the keyword. 

Of course this is just my limited personal observation, it could be completly inaccurate, or the increased QS could be from another reason than the changed parameter "Ad relevancy". Who knows.