AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Does my time zone affect the ad delivery?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I'm relatively new to AdWords, so please excuse my clumsiness. Maybe the answer is just in front of me, and maybe my questions are stupid. Here they are.

So, the time zone set for my account is GMT+1. I target all countries and territories, and my delivery method is Optimise for clicks. It is very important to me to have the ads delivered across the globe!

Does my time zone affect the ad delivery somehow?

When the easternmost country/territory starts a new day (past midnight for them), it's still noon (past noon) in my time zone. So, compared to that, I'm still... yesterday.

1. My first problem is: could my daily budget be exhausted in the eastern hemisphere (well, because it's the first one to begin a new calendar day)? And thus, if people in the western hemisphere look for something that I offer, they won't see my ads simply because I have no more budget to burn for the respective calendar day?

2. And to make it even more confusing: say in easternmost Russia is 3rd June 1am (day just started). Obviously, it will be 2nd June 1pm in my place (so, midday), and 2nd June 1am in westernmost US (day just started). If in each of these locations people click my ads at the said hours, how does AdWords register them? Will the click in Russia count for the 2nd of June (because this is my time zone)? Or does Google count clicks for 2 separate calendar days at the same time, remembering to report the click in Russia for the 3rd of June, once I and my entire time zone live to see the 3rd of June?

That's an impossible conundrum for me! Please help!

Simona

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sandra S
June 2017

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

If you have standard delivery, system will try to show ads throughout the day but your ads will trigger occasionally after consuming 60-70% of the daily budget during the early hours of the day and you may loose potential traffic.

As your website is in English language but you want to target All countries and territories focusing English then best strategy is creating specific campaigns for at least those countries where English is the main language and can keep All countries and territories in a separate campaign excluding the countries for which you have specific campaigns.

This way you can better analyse which country provides you good ROI and which provides worst. Then you can simply pause the poor performing countries campaigns or assign lowest budget.

If your account timezone is set to GMT+1 then all your stats will be updated in accordance with this timezone. 

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Re: Does my time zone affect the ad delivery?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Sandra S,

My first problem is: could my daily budget be exhausted in the eastern hemisphere (well, because it's the first one to begin a new calendar day)? And thus, if people in the western hemisphere look for something that I offer, they won't see my ads simply because I have no more budget to burn for the respective calendar day?

Absolutely. For western hemisphere ads will be shown occasionally due to limited/exhausted budget of the day.

I would recommend to create separate campaigns for each country with separate budgets for ease of optimization and performance analysis.

Is your website multilingual?

If not then target only those countries with the main language as of your website.

And to make it even more confusing: say in easternmost Russia is 3rd June 1am (day just started). Obviously, it will be 2nd June 1pm in my place (so, midday), and 2nd June 1am in westernmost US (day just started). If in each of these locations people click my ads at the said hours, how does AdWords register them? Will the click in Russia count for the 2nd of June (because this is my time zone)? Or does Google count clicks for 2 separate calendar days at the same time, remembering to report the click in Russia for the 3rd of June, once I and my entire time zone live to see the 3rd of June?

All the reporting will be according to the timezone set for your AdWords account, no matter what is the targeting country's timezone.

Regards
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Re: Does my time zone affect the ad delivery?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Archit,

Thank you for the swift reply!

However, I need further clarifications.

You say:

Absolutely. For western hemisphere ads will be shown occasionally due to limited/exhausted budget of the day.

Is that true even if my delivery is standard, which means that Google takes it upon itself to distribute my ads evenly across the hours of the day? (I quote here from the official support documents: The standard delivery method aims to distribute your budget evenly across the entire day (12:00 a.m. – 11:59 p.m.) to avoid exhausting your budget early on., quotation closed).

So, normally, Google shouldn't just jam my ads in the eastern hemisphere just because it's the first to start a new calendar day. My delivery preference should precisely prevent Google from doing that and have the ads displayed uniformly.

And to answer to your question...

Is your website multilingual?

... no, my website is in English. But that doesn't matter, I'm not targeting general consumer markets. My interest is to reach to people who, regardless of their native language or of where their business is based, are very likely to speak English because, well, English is kind of the official language in my kind of business.

In this case, does your recommendation...

I would recommend to create separate campaigns for each country with separate budgets for ease of optimization and performance analysis.

... still hold?

As to the second matter, you say...

All the reporting will be according to the timezone set for your AdWords account, no matter what is the targeting country's timezone.

... but I do not have a targeted country. My location preferences go to all countries and territories.

Thank you for being so kind to take time to reply to me! But I'm still not convinced. Can you make another argument?

Simona

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sandra S
June 2017

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

If you have standard delivery, system will try to show ads throughout the day but your ads will trigger occasionally after consuming 60-70% of the daily budget during the early hours of the day and you may loose potential traffic.

As your website is in English language but you want to target All countries and territories focusing English then best strategy is creating specific campaigns for at least those countries where English is the main language and can keep All countries and territories in a separate campaign excluding the countries for which you have specific campaigns.

This way you can better analyse which country provides you good ROI and which provides worst. Then you can simply pause the poor performing countries campaigns or assign lowest budget.

If your account timezone is set to GMT+1 then all your stats will be updated in accordance with this timezone. 

Regards