AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Does keyword order matter for broad match or broad modified?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
October 2016

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

hi @Emily K

To add onto the other comments, it is best to use the natural order, but keep in mind adding other broad match and broad match modified keywords using those same keywords but in different orders will treat them as unique keywords which can then compete against one another (especially when they are housed in separate campaigns). 

Do your best to remove instances of this duplicative process by reviewing your search terms report to see which triggered keyword version received the best performance in terms of Click-Through Rate (CTR - one of the three components of quality score) and conversion related metrics. Thus, +red +flowers and +flowers +red could compete against one another for a search query about "red rose flowers".

Let me know if that helps!

Nick

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Emily K,

There are a number of factors that can align to bring about the best search query match, but in essence order does factor into things. If you think out how a phrase search might go for your products or services, you should be able to come up with what you need. Remember that only one match can happen per search so you are wanting to increase your chances of being matched and served. 

Take a look at some more info.

Broad Match Modifiers

How Similar Keywords Match to Search Terms

Kind Regards,

James

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Because of the way AdWords auctions work, when using modified Broad Match or Broad Match, you may see slight differences in the performance of keywords based upon the way they are ordered.  

The "best practice" is to use the words in their natural order, as they are most likely to be entered as a search term. 

In practice, when using modified broad match ("+") on each word in the keyword, I've seen little difference in performance.  

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

It also makes it easier to manage/optimise your account if the keywords are in their natural order - less brain-work when thinking about each keyword. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
October 2016

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

hi @Emily K

To add onto the other comments, it is best to use the natural order, but keep in mind adding other broad match and broad match modified keywords using those same keywords but in different orders will treat them as unique keywords which can then compete against one another (especially when they are housed in separate campaigns). 

Do your best to remove instances of this duplicative process by reviewing your search terms report to see which triggered keyword version received the best performance in terms of Click-Through Rate (CTR - one of the three components of quality score) and conversion related metrics. Thus, +red +flowers and +flowers +red could compete against one another for a search query about "red rose flowers".

Let me know if that helps!

Nick