AdWords
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Does google give higher quailty score for google affiliate links?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

Does google give more credit to google affiliate links?

One of our affiliates were bidding our trade name that has been in our adwords account for the past 8 years. First of all, I still don't understand how their ad ranks better than us. The only different is that the link goes to google affiliate network and then redirects to our website. I contacted with google and they said that everything was working fine even though I believe there was a glitch. One day I even increased the bid for that keyword to $50 and our ad was never showed up due to similar URLs. Now we found out the affiliate and cancelled our relation on google affiliate network (because it was a violation due to our affiliate program agreemenet) however now the ad is still there and it goes to a white page where it says "Invalid Link". Os if this wasn't a glitch and if google doesn't give more credit to affiliate links what is the problem here?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Does google give higher quailty score for google affiliate links?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Hcancelik,

No, QS is universal for all advertisers, there is no special treatment.

How are the QS's on the 'Trade Name' keywords in question here within your account?  I find it interesting that the affiliate was ranking higher even with the increase in bid you mentioned.  They could have generated such a high CTR that they managed to establish a very high QS for these KWs.  Do these keywords get any impressions in your account and from your search terms reports, what are you finding are the actual queries used to generate these impressions?

When you tested your ads, were you just searching online or were you using the 'Ad Preview' tool?   

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Hcancelik,

No, QS is universal for all advertisers, there is no special treatment.

How are the QS's on the 'Trade Name' keywords in question here within your account?  I find it interesting that the affiliate was ranking higher even with the increase in bid you mentioned.  They could have generated such a high CTR that they managed to establish a very high QS for these KWs.  Do these keywords get any impressions in your account and from your search terms reports, what are you finding are the actual queries used to generate these impressions?

When you tested your ads, were you just searching online or were you using the 'Ad Preview' tool?   

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hcancelik, what happened is that they simply wrote better ads than you did, and bid high enough to have their ad shown. In time, they got better CTR than you did. That contributed to their quality score getting better and better, while yours deteriorated.

Now their affiliate account no longer works, but their ads are not stopped (yet). So when someone clicks that ad, it is lead to the old affiliate URL which no longer redirects to your website.

Right now you can either contact them and tell them to stop advertising as they are no longer an affiliate of yours (and they should be interested in doing so, as they are currently wasting money), or wait for Google to disable their ads since they now no longer lead to the right URLs. You can also report those ads yourself, but the policy violation team does take a while before suspending an account, so this may not be the fastest way.

Off-topic somewhat, I think this should be a lesson for every affiliate: if you want to keep showing your ad, you need to make sure that QS is very high, bids are appropriate, budgets are sufficient, etc. Otherwise, if someone knocks you off the advertising spot, there's no #2.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you very much guys for the responses. 

I see that ad is gone now. However there is someone else bidding Smiley Sad((

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hello.

It seems that you should change your policy if you don't want your affiliates to send AdWords traffic to your website.

If you want to know who the affiliate is, you should look at their affiliate code after clicking on their ad. They should land on your website with the appropriate parameter appended to the URL.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We do have that policy but that doesn't help all the time. I can cancel the affiliate relation but there is no way to figure out. I place a test order and it doesn't show up on Google affiliate (also ShareASale) system. Why would someone spend money on providing a traffic for us if they don't make money right? I follow the redirections through the Chrome Inspector and it doesn't show anything either.