AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Does google charge for a total shipping weight?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am trying to determine the best shipping method to use within google; however, I don't understand how google applies shipping charges. If I use the weight attribute and set multiple levels of shipping prices, does google take the total order weight to determine which range the shipment falls into? If yes, is this even in the case of an order for more than one of the same item?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Does google charge for a total shipping weight?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

Shipping at the moment is part of product feed but is not displayed on google shopping on default results page. It is only displayed on product comparison page.

On product comparison page because users are comparing same products which are available from diffrent vendors the shipping is calculated for that particular product and not for the order.

Hope this makes sense

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
What you're saying does make sense, but that's not exactly what I'm asking. What I need to know is how the shipping is charged when a customer places an order.

We sell large items that ship LTL, so if a customer places an order for 20 items, but they're only charged shipping based on one item, then our company is losing a considerable amount of money, which would defeat the purpose of expanding our market with Google.

Does this make sense? Can anyone clarify?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

I am guessing your are talking about Product Listing Ads (PLA). 

If that is a correct guess then shipping is taken care on your website by you and not by google.

Does that make sense?

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
If that's the case, that would be perfect, but I think we're still on different pages.

Thank you for your help.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Sorry to jump in here uninvited.

I do not have hands on experience with PLA, only theoretical limited knowledge, but I may have found something useful here :

https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/188494

CTRL+F on page for expression "weight of the item for shipping" and expand. To me it seems that an attribute from the feed does the calculation automatically but experts around here can shed more light.

shipping-weight-PLA.png

Good luck with the configuration !

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for sharing Adrian,

Our office staff has read this and we have different understandings of what it says. It seems like orders of more than one item (same or different) should calculate accurately, but I can't find anything that clearly says that. Everything I read seems to tip toe around what
I'm trying to figure out.

Thank you Adrian and Nik, I appreciate your assistance!

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I managed to obtain some more details from the Google Merchant Center forum, maybe it helps :

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!mydiscussions/merchant-center/UhBFHtIC_08

Also you can post there more questions about feeds .

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

just to summarize -- shipping is for a single item-offer only.

there is currently no concept of multiple-item (shopping-cart) orders.

product-listing-ads (google-shopping) displays a single item-offer --

shipping must be either exactly correct or an overestimate for the

majority of users within the (registered feed's) target-country --

for that single-item offer.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!mydiscussions/merchant-center/UhBFHtIC_08

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you so much! This covers my questions and concerns perfectly.

Adrian I really appreciate you reaching out for more information on this matter. You have been a huge help!