AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Does changing your website affect ranking and AdWords score?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

My company is changing their website, whole layout redesign, infrastructure and content change.

As far as i am aware there is no penalty for doing this as far as site indexing and score is concerned as Google will re-index the new site when it comes 'live' and hopefully the new site should be better anyway.

Also, will there be any upsets with our AdWords account?

Is this true or am i barking up the wrong tree? Also, are there any pitfalls i need to be aware of?

Cheers

Chris

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Does changing your website affect ranking and AdWords score?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Chris,

If you happen to do the keyword diagnosis inside your Adwords account, you will find 3 main ingredients in terms of Quality Score i.e. Expected Click through Rate, Ad Relevance and Landing Page experience. So definitely the landing page is something which gets consideration while calculating the overall Quality Score.

If your Company is revamping the whole website, I would suggest you to go through this article at least so that you know what you need to have for your landing page. I would also advise you to follow the Adwords Policy Center to make sure that you adhere to the policies and do no violate them unknowingly.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Chris,

If you happen to do the keyword diagnosis inside your Adwords account, you will find 3 main ingredients in terms of Quality Score i.e. Expected Click through Rate, Ad Relevance and Landing Page experience. So definitely the landing page is something which gets consideration while calculating the overall Quality Score.

If your Company is revamping the whole website, I would suggest you to go through this article at least so that you know what you need to have for your landing page. I would also advise you to follow the Adwords Policy Center to make sure that you adhere to the policies and do no violate them unknowingly.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

As long as your the landing page is relevant to your ad copies and keywords. It really won't hurt your quality score, though there might be a minor impact, but make sure:

Content should be unique and there should be some commitment

It must be very relevant to your ad group/keywords/adcopies

You s hould be very specific in your approach

your visitors should be able to easily find what they are looking for

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Fdmfrance,

As previously mentioned, you definitely want to make sure that your site remains relevant to your AdWords Account.  Pankaj mentioned the Keyword Diagnosis tool will help you with tracking this.  Having either Average, or Above Average LP ratings is perfectly fine.  It's when you get into Below Average rankings for your landing page experience where your Quality Scores will start being penalized. You want to avoid this Below Average rating.

Generally speaking, it's a really good idea to have your ads lead directly to pages with the most relevant information for the end user. Often, website homepages as landing pages are just not enough, they can always be improved upon as they are often quite broad.

One final note, I assume you're keeping the same domain name for your site but if there is a period of transition from old site to new site, or if you are using specific landing pages in your ads, you may want to pause your campaigns while your new site is propagated across the web and make sure all of your ads are indeed pointing to the correct place before re-launching your campaigns.  If the AdWords system happens to crawl your site during transition and is unable to find your pages, your ads could be disapproved. 

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Chris,

Whenever you do a complete site redsign you will lose page rank for organic search and you could suffer loss of ad rank as well. When you change the destination or display URL, your QS will recalculate. You could see a hit when pointing to the new landing pages.

You can avoid the loss of page rank by redirecting your old pages to the new pages. That way the new pages inherit the page rank of the old pages. Now, if the old pages had a low page rank, that might not help. But, in general, this is the recommended way to implement a complete redesign of your site.

If it is a new domain as well, get a Webmaters Tools account and submit a change of address in addition to redirecting all old pages to new pages. Also, be sure to post an xml sitemap for the new site to help assure all pages get indexed.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords