AdWords
3K members online now
3K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Does broad modifier work in display network?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Now that Google has rolled out the new Display Network tab with keyword level statistics (https://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2456531)

will broad modifier work with display network as well?

According to Google Help page:

We’re bringing the precision and control of search advertising to the Google Display Network. You can fine-tune the performance of your keyword-targeted campaigns on the Display Network down to individual keyword level.

This will not help much with broad match. So will broad modifier work in display network?

Thanks for help in advance.

Regards

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Broad match and contextual targeting on Display network - How it works

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi anumeh and zoicaremus

In addition to Tom's and zoicaremus' answers, it should be explained, that contextual targeting is based on similarity and resemblance between keywords and the content of a webpage. Contextual similarity and analogy of words to a written text, calls for a broad match type. You cannot achieve contextual targeting with phrase match or exact match . - it's just to narrow (contextual) targeting, and practically, will not trigger any ad.

However, a negative keyword can contribute to the contextual targeting by reducing chances of an ad to appear on web pages with broad match texts, similar to a negative keyword. (Though, not eliminating completely - because of the "theme nature" of all keywords function collectively, each contributing its share.)

In the new display tab, you will be able to see what is the contribution of each keyword to your campaign goals, but, still they all will continue to work collectively as a theme.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Re: Does broad modifier work in display network?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi anumeh, I'm not sure if this information is up to date with the new GDN tab. From this page: https://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2497680 "On the Display Network, all keywords are considered broad match only. This means that you don't need to include plurals, misspellings, and other variants of your keywords." My impression is that the next-gen targeting is google looking at individual keywords for placement vs whole ad groups. I think the contextual targeting concept is still in place and will continue to function using broad match keywords. I assume more information on this will become available soon. Hope this helps! -Tom
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello anumeh and PPCBossman,

I can confirm that on the Display Network all keywords are considered broad match. I just had a phonetalk with Adwords Dedicated Support yesterday and this was one of my questions for them. This will probably change in the future, but for now it works this way.

However, the link you sent to the help section was updated recently - 03/21/2012. I had a talk with them yesterday on 03/30/2012. I will check again in a week, just to be sure. Also, in my accounts I don't see the updated interface that is visible in those screenshots. I will I'll be back with more info.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Broad match and contextual targeting on Display network - How it works

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi anumeh and zoicaremus

In addition to Tom's and zoicaremus' answers, it should be explained, that contextual targeting is based on similarity and resemblance between keywords and the content of a webpage. Contextual similarity and analogy of words to a written text, calls for a broad match type. You cannot achieve contextual targeting with phrase match or exact match . - it's just to narrow (contextual) targeting, and practically, will not trigger any ad.

However, a negative keyword can contribute to the contextual targeting by reducing chances of an ad to appear on web pages with broad match texts, similar to a negative keyword. (Though, not eliminating completely - because of the "theme nature" of all keywords function collectively, each contributing its share.)

In the new display tab, you will be able to see what is the contribution of each keyword to your campaign goals, but, still they all will continue to work collectively as a theme.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Broad match and contextual targeting on Display network - How it works

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks everyone for quick response.

MosheTLV, you said: In the new display tab, you will be able to see what is the contribution of each keyword to your campaign goals, but, still they all will continue to work collectively as a theme.

I am a little confused. So far Google had maintained that the keywords work collectively as a theme in display network. HOWEVER, now they are giving statistics BY KEYWORD. Hence the assumption should be that each keyword is INDEPENDENTLY triggering the ad based on the keywords present in the webpage. Otherwise what is the purpose of giving keyword level statistics? And how can we optimize at keyword level?

Let's say my keywords are:

quality management

quality control

quality assurance

Will the ad be triggered if the webpage has just "quality" or just "management"? Or will it be triggered only if the webpage has "quality" as well as "management".

In the above case, if I replace the three keywords with just one keyword "quality", will all the ad impressions for the three keywords be subset of all ad impressions with just one keyword "quality"?

Thanks

How keyword work as a theme on the Display Network

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

anumeh;

You are asking a very nice question, that touches at the core of contextual targeting.

I see by the example you gave, that you come from an engineering field - as I do. So, it will be easier for me to follow with your example.

Keep in mind, though, that the new display tab is a brand new contextual engine, while Google hasn't revealed all sides of its functioning.

Based on my understanding, you correctly said that: "So far Google had maintained that the keywords work collectively as a theme in display network. HOWEVER, now they are giving statistics BY KEYWORD."

But Still:

1. Statistics given, is partial.
  2. As opposed to your next sentence, the keywords do NOT function independently. Google does not disclose how those keywords interact among themselves. My assumption is, that there is "logical rule" that is formulated into mathematical correlation, in which each keyword has a "proportion share" in calculating a QS for an ad on the display network. (Not many remember that, but, AdWords does determine a QS for the display network. )

Let's try your keywords: "quality control", "quality assurance" and "quality management" . All are correlated to "quality management systems".

My guess is that, your ads will be shown on pages related to quality management (e.g. ISO 9001, Lean manufacturing, ISO1400, QC in manufacturing, QMS, SOP etc...). I do not have a definitive answer, if your ads will be triggered (for example) on pages of knowledge managementt, change management, organization development, that are (engineering speaking) different fields, not entirely related to quality management and quality systems. (Well..., they might be associated.... quality touches every aspect of management... Smiley Surprised )

To summarize: my understanding of Google blog announcement, is that the "theme structure" of all keywords working collectively, in an undisclosed algorithm, remains in place.

-Moshe

Re: How keyword work as a theme on the Display Network

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Moshe for such a detailed reply.

In the situation I have described, will it be better to use just one keyword "quality" or to have a keyword list with variations like "quality management", "quality control" etc?

What are the pros and cons of the two approaches?

Thanks again for your help!

Anumeh

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Anumeh;

If I have correctly "sensed" the nature of your business, I would say, that you have chosen the right keywords (Though, there might be some more to add).

"quality" - as a broad match keyword, is just too broad. ....Quality is relevent (AdWords terminology) to every product or service you advertise...

-Moshe

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

hello .. ?

sorry... ?

ask } how to sea

zoicaremus wrote:

Hello anumeh and PPCBossman,

I can confirm that on the Display Network all keywords are considered broad match. I just had a phonetalk with Adwords Dedicated Support yesterday and this was one of my questions for them. This will probably change in the future, but for now it works this way.

However, the link you sent to the help section was updated recently - 03/21/2012. I had a talk with them yesterday on 03/30/2012. I will check again in a week, just to be sure. Also, in my accounts I don't see the updated interface that is visible in those screenshots. I will I'll be back with more info.

rch for keywords by the number of thousands

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Moshe for all the help!

Anumeh