Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Does broad match modifier cost more than broad match

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I am trying out some broad match modified search terms for the first time. I've noticed that as soon as I added them to the campaign, they cost 2-3x more than the same words but in normal broad match.

Why would broad match modified keywords cost so much more than broad match?

I understand I'll be getting less traffic/impressions than just using broad match, and that I'm aiming for quality rather than quantity, but at this CPC increase, I can barely afford a few clicks a day anymore, even if it is more relevant.

Any ideas?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Does broad match modifier cost more than broad match

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Margaret,

As you suggested already, the high CPC for modified broad match keywords can be because they are 'more' relevant and more advertisers are using it (when the competition is high, CPCs will be high).

It is always advisable to start an experiment with a lower bid (you are using modified broad match for the first time) and if possible in a separate ad group or campaign. This will help us to monitor the performance easily, and you can increase or decrease the spend based on profitability.

So please try with lower bids first. Some times modified broad match can produce great results.

Deepak

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Margaret,

As you suggested already, the high CPC for modified broad match keywords can be because they are 'more' relevant and more advertisers are using it (when the competition is high, CPCs will be high).

It is always advisable to start an experiment with a lower bid (you are using modified broad match for the first time) and if possible in a separate ad group or campaign. This will help us to monitor the performance easily, and you can increase or decrease the spend based on profitability.

So please try with lower bids first. Some times modified broad match can produce great results.

Deepak

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That's great! Thank you for your help on this thread and the other one Deepak. I really appreciate it.

I left it to run all afternoon and the numbers for the CPC actually brought themselves down a lot! They're still higher than they were before adding the broad match, but now it's only by about $0.20, instead of an extra $3-$4 that was being stated earlier!

Fingers crossed and let's see how it goes!

Thanks again

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
You are most welcome Margaret...

Community Manager
# 5
Community Manager
This resolved thread has been closed for new replies. If you have a new question, please start a new thread. If this post helped you - give it a star!

Kathleen